Author Topic: Accelerator-Firewall Seal  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Accelerator-Firewall Seal
« on: August 07, 2010, 09:04:49 AM »
One more detail as I continue to make progress with my '65 convertible.  The seal where my accelerator linkage passes through the firewall has the "big end" sticking into the car, under the dash, not protruding out into the engine compartment.  I noticed, Charles, on your K conv that the seal is installed in the opposite direction of what mine was originally.  Is this a Dearborn/SJ difference, a 6 cyl/V8 difference or simply a "whatever guy was sticking those on the car" deal?  ;D
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Accelerator-Firewall Seal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 10:29:30 AM »
All installed the same way, no matter if it was a 6 or 8 cyl.  Sounds like you have yours backwards.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:38:05 AM »
Possibly, except that's the way it came originally.  The undercoating is on the smooth side and the bumped out side was under the dash, nice and clean.  So do I reinstall it the way it was when it was new, or do I install it the way it was supposed to be when it was new?!  ???
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »
............ Is this a Dearborn/SJ difference, a 6 cyl/V8 difference or simply a "whatever guy was sticking those on the car" deal?  ;D

Nope - its one of those things where there was a way that they were engineered to go- only seen "outees"

In restoring we often make the choice to correct mistakes to get the car as it was suppose to be built, especially when the detail is pretty small and, over all, not very important. But with good solid documentation you can always make your case and become the owner with the backwards - whatever.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:35:13 PM »
For whatever it's worth, I checked through my pics of 5F07U100211 and it had the grommet with the big end in the engine bay ('outee' as Jeff refers to.)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:48:29 AM »
A minor detail to be sure.  Funny thing is I checked some old photos, black and white!, from when we disassembled the car in '79.  And that plug was definitely facing in.  Now that it's been back in the car for awhile I start noticing that every other car has the bump out.  So the question is what to do.  I suppose I'll just take a few minutes and flip it around.  Thanks for the response guys.  ;)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline GarlicGreg

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 02:35:26 AM »
Gary-

I'm currently rebuilding the motor in my '65 200ci SJ coupe. It was bought by my father for my mother in '65. Freakishly original. Still had the paper tag on the voltage regulator. It was parked in their garage for the the past 22 years.

The motor just came back from the machine shop. so the engine bay is open. If you post a pic of your question I will go look and post a pic of my set up. Or any other questions on what was original set up.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 02:57:05 AM »
I believe Gary is restoring an early Dearborn car, so there might be some variances here and there. 

The point in question for this post was the rubber seal where the accelerator pedal rod goes through the firewall.

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 04:42:36 PM »
seen it both ways just like the lower control arm bolts gary shoot me an email, i have multiple picture of untouch dearborn cars I can send u photo's of how the gromet was installed as you described
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:47:06 PM by buckeyeresto »

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »
1 minute later and I am now "concours correct", except for a little more undercoating!   8)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:58:25 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline Jerry

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »
I´m building and fix helicopters and even on our
plant each worker makes certain stuff their way.
Meaning the make little mistakes wich are overseen
by the inspector. But just the little things that don´t
affect the security of the crew.  ;)

What i want to say is: All is made by humans and humans make mistakes.
Bye Jerry