Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

POR 15 FORD Corporate Blue engine paint - too dark?

<< < (6/6)

mgreene:

--- Quote from: evantugby on January 25, 2018, 10:24:47 PM ---Used POR-15 Ford Corporate Blue.  The first spray came out tacky so we diluted it with mineral spirits (as a reducer) and it went on perfect the second and third coat.  The reducer really helped the paint lay down better.  Check out the pictures.  And the color looks dead on to me.

Pic 1:  Me putting on first coat
Pic 2:  How it looks after first coat with no mineral spirit as reducer.  See the tackiness? 
Pic 3:  After 2-3 coats with mineral spirits as a reducer.  This was in a semi-low light area. 
Pic 4:  Final product in a very high-lit area without any natural light. 
PIc 5:  Updated on 1 April 2018.  I wanted to add another picture in natural light.  Note:  The engine is not even close to concours yet, still have lots to do, but this picture is simply to look at the POR 15 Ford Corporate Blue with a reducer sprayed on a 1965 289 HiPo.

--- End quote ---

Wouldn't a '65 Hi-Po be black?  ;)

carlite65:
yep.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: mgreene on May 03, 2018, 03:22:11 PM ---Wouldn't a '65 Hi-Po be black?  ;)

--- End quote ---
Ford documents indicate that Ford would have completed the change over to blue by Aug 15 of 1965 if memory serves. With that said we know of instances that seem to contradict that. Possibly all new engines built from that time on or maybe it took longer to use up supplies I am not sure. Anyway there is document evidence to suggest that very late production built 65 cars could have had blue engines . I wouldn't bet my life that all 65 production engines were black given the factory circumstantial evidence .   

J_Speegle:
Of course these would likely be cars built in the last weeks of production if it did take place and even proving a car was built during that time can be a challenge.

Don't know if anyone has collected the engine assembly dates from the ID tags on the engines that are claimed to be originally blue from 65 production cars. For the builder, unless you have proof, the general consensus it's likely the best choice. Oddities and the possibility of their existence are fun to discuss but go with the common accepted practices unless you want to be that guy and have something to back it up.

Not sure if we'll ever be able to figure it out for sure - but sometimes it the journey that leads us to new understandings or reinforce what we already know and accept :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version