Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

POR 15 FORD Corporate Blue engine paint - too dark?

<< < (2/6) > >>

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: mungus on July 21, 2017, 07:21:52 AM ---So has anyone here tried that POR15 paint? Opinions? .................

--- End quote ---

Have not tried it for any of my projects - found what worked for me so no reason to consider the product. Have seen it on others and was not impressed.

Remember you can't compare pictures to tell what the colors and shine look like. Way too many variables when we look at posted or published pictures, digital cameras, settings and so forth.  Spray samples and comparing them to original painted parts from the same year and engine plant is the only way to get close IMHO. Yers I understand this can be difficult for some. Just one reason the forums were created so we can share our individual findings, experiments and trials

mungus:
Thanks Bob, at least I know POR15 isn't the right color, that's something. I'll stop using it.

On the other side of the discussion, how about the color my heads are painted? As Jeff's post rightly points out, it's hard to tell from a web photo, but does it look ball part at least?

Lastly should the air cleaner base be the same shade as the engine?

Thanks to all.

BTW I'm also one of those guys with a degree! 2 in fact, (makes me twice as silly). :-)
However im the first to say I met some of the stupidest people ever at University!
I like to use the Duke of Wellington's quote when people tell me someone who graduated uni must be smart:
"Being born in a barn doesn't make one a horse".

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: mungus on July 21, 2017, 07:43:01 PM ---Lastly should the air cleaner base be the same shade as the engine?

--- End quote ---

We don't know (that I'm aware of) for sure where the air cleaner was painted. But from observations they typically are an incredible IMHO close match (lid, snorkel and so on) to the engine possibly suggesting they were painted at the engine plant.

mungus:
Thanks Jeff, that's what I figured.
Am I right in saying 67-68' cars used this kind of shade though?
(Old ford blue / plasticote 224 etc)

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: mungus on July 21, 2017, 09:58:34 PM ---Thanks Jeff, that's what I figured.
Am I right in saying 67-68' cars used this kind of shade though?
(Old ford blue / plasticote 224 etc)

--- End quote ---

What sized engines? 

Why ask?  Its just me - I've noticed that for me the FE engines were often slightly darker than the small blocks possibly since they were painted at different places a slightly different mix or supplier may have been the cause though the PPG color is still the base or accept standard.

For small blocks and 6 cylinders I always found that the Plasticote was the closest for me but haven't used rattle cans and years and their current product might be slightly different.  Sorry for all the wavering just want to be specific in my response ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version