Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Firewall Pad restoration

<< < (3/3)

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: PraireBronze on June 26, 2018, 12:23:55 PM ---Can someone provide info on specific product(s)?

Also, I am still in need of a piece of SJ pad to fill in the clutch rod notch that is missing.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on April 24, 2015, 11:10:22 AM ---I have been working tirelessly on repairing my original pad (previously pictured in earlier comment)
Today, I feel I have made marked progress on the section to the Left of the steering Column. I will be uploading more images of the other side as I get further along with those repairs. THIS particular task has not been very simple to do. It really is unfortunate that the aftermarkets fail so miserably.

What I have done so far is I have removed the outer "skin" of my San Jose firewall pad and I have also purchased a "cheapie" firewall pad to obtain a rough-cut of the jute backing to use. I used a vinyl repair adhesive by Permatex (#81786) and fiberglass cloth as reinforcement for the repairs. (one repair pictured below) Scraping down the "skin" without damaging it more is the hardest part of this process. I feel the mouse urine soaked jute backing was not what I wished to have inside of my restoration project yet I wanted an original-looking firewall pad. I suggest mechanics gloves and at least a dust mask! (nasty!)

I could use ideas on what to use to fill in the cracks or holes behind the washer pump. I have some ideas, but curious if others have things used proven good. For example, I sectioned in the V-shaped end under the steering column. I used some paintable undercoating on the visable seam but noticed it still a bit "tacky" to the touch several days later. It looks good though, but will it dry?

Here are the pictures of the LEFT section to illustrate the process I followed so far:

--- End quote ---

The whole thread, as I initially tried to OBTAIN a good SJ pad is in the 1967-1968 section: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9343.0

Most of what you might ask is over there in that thread or the one I linked above in my last reply.

If I were to do this over again and again wished to replace the Jute backing, as I did before...I would most likely spend more, buy a pre-formed pad...that caused extra trouble trying to "stretch" the jute into reaching the backs of the pockets (behind heater or AC unit).

Bossbill:

--- Quote from: PraireBronze on June 26, 2018, 12:23:55 PM ---
Also, I am still in need of a piece of SJ pad to fill in the clutch rod notch that is missing.

--- End quote ---

Send me a closeup of that area and I'll take apart a section of a damaged pad I have. Some pads have really faint dimples in certain areas and have strong dimples in other areas. I'll try and match yours.

PM or email.

Bossbill:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on June 26, 2018, 12:45:18 PM ---If I were to do this over again and again wished to replace the Jute backing, as I did before...I would most likely spend more, buy a pre-formed pad...that caused extra trouble trying to "stretch" the jute into reaching the backs of the pockets (behind heater or AC unit).

--- End quote ---

I have a 67 repop pad and this pad, besides being a very bad repop, stinks really, really bad. A horrible chemical smell. I can only imagine what nasty EPA banned items are in this thing.
I'd rather put a moldy pad in there than any parts of this thing (I'll try and see who the vendor was, but it's a bottom of price pad).
The pad isn't even half the thickness of a real pad.

On originals it should be noted that most of the edges (other than clutch and A/C popout type areas) also have various amounts of the face 'rubber' on them. Think paint overspray on some of the edges  and you're close.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version