Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Firewall Pad restoration

<< < (2/3) > >>

jswoody:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on October 09, 2017, 12:09:23 AM ---It really depends on the condition of your pad. For duplicating or patching the vinyl-like surface, the right stuff for the job is made by Permatex and it is called "The Right Stuff"

I patched together a 67 San Jose Pad using a reproduction pad for a new jute backing, "skinned" the original San Jose style "dimpled" black skin from off of the old jute. Repaired the "skin" using fiberglass mess on the back side with a clear vinyl adhesive bought at O'Reilleys for a bonding agent and finally applied "The Right Stuff" over the seams of the repairs. A few repairs required waiting for the first application of The Right Stuff to cure. It took a great deal of time and patience but it came out pretty good in my opinion and what I began with was more or less a throw-away, rodent urine-soaked piece of trash.

Hope this helps

--- End quote ---

I am in the process of restoring a 1967 San Jose firewall pad and have been using this as a guide. Two questions would be is it necessary to remove all traces of the old jute backing, and what to use to attach the new jute to the old skin?  I have experimented with some spray adhesives and have thought about contact cement, but was wondering if there were any better options?

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: Jswoody on June 04, 2018, 10:21:40 AM ---I am in the process of restoring a 1967 San Jose firewall pad and have been using this as a guide. Two questions would be is it necessary to remove all traces of the old jute backing, and what to use to attach the new jute to the old skin?  I have experimented with some spray adhesives and have thought about contact cement, but was wondering if there were any better options?

--- End quote ---
When I did my 67, I did pull all of the old jute backing off. It was difficult to not cause more damage to the vinyl surface you were trying to save. As far as adhesives go, I used 3M spray adhesive. I sprayed the jute and also sprayed the vinyl. The vinyl was completely repaired before I tried to do this meaning that all tears rips and holes were repaired previous to trying to attach it.

Bossbill:
I was at my son's house today trying to find stuff I could use on my projects. Ok, we were really there to help clean up for his surprise birthday party. Shhhh.

Since he is into early Broncos I scouted around a few hulks he had laying around. I was very surprised to find one car with its firewall pad just laying there, still under cover of the dash.
Imagine my surprise to find out two things -- it had San Jose pimples and it was also made by the vendor "GB". This is the same vendor that made the 67 SJ Mustang pad.

So, I took it home.

If you're looking for SJ pad pieces consider other Fords made in SJ in that time frame.

[correct grammar]

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on October 09, 2017, 12:09:23 AM ---It really depends on the condition of your pad. For duplicating or patching the vinyl-like surface, the right stuff for the job is made by Permatex and it is called "The Right Stuff"

I patched together a 67 San Jose Pad using a reproduction pad for a new jute backing, "skinned" the original San Jose style "dimpled" black skin from off of the old jute. Repaired the "skin" using fiberglass mesh on the back side with a clear vinyl adhesive bought at O'Reilleys for a bonding agent and finally applied "The Right Stuff" over the seams of the repairs. A few repairs required waiting for the first application of The Right Stuff to cure. It took a great deal of time and patience but it came out pretty good in my opinion and what I began with was more or less a throw-away, rodent urine-soaked piece of trash.

Hope this helps

--- End quote ---

I just read what I wrote here earlier and saw a couple of flaws. First was an "auto-correct" issue with the word "mesh" had been changed to "mess" and I didn't catch that till now.

More importantly, I see a valuable step hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread and I looked at another thread I had begun about using "The Right Stuff", the step was not clearly outlined there as well. http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11069.msg66219#msg66219

The step I am talking about is the "skin", once removed from the old jute backing, gets all of the rips and tears repaired using the fiberglass mesh and clear vinyl adhesive , yes...BUT YOU DO NOT USE "THE RIGHT STUFF" UNTIL THE SKIN IS RE-ATTACHED TO THE JUTE BACKING (At least I didn't). I used "The Right Stuff" only as a filler agent, like Bondo is used to fill dents. It wasn't used for connecting the "skin" structurally-speaking.

Also note: Using "The Right Stuff" as a filler to bridge the repairs together was trickey and it had to cure overnight between coats.

I like that idea that was mentioned about using "Spray Platic Dip" coating too, that may be help for a final coat but I wonder if it has too much luster

PraireBronze:

--- Quote ---clear vinyl adhesive bought at O'Reilleys
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---using fiberglass mesh on the back side with a clear vinyl adhesive bought at O'Reilleys for a bonding agent
--- End quote ---

Can someone provide info on specific product(s)?

Also, I am still in need of a piece of SJ pad to fill in the clutch rod notch that is missing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version