1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

Coil spring washers and bolts

<< < (2/2)

CharlesTurner:
They are reproduced, but might not match the markings of your originals.  If yours are in good shape, it would be recommended to refinish them.  There's a great reference guide to DIY phosphate/oil here on the site.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: Crgjohnson on December 11, 2017, 11:51:52 PM ---The car is a a Feb 22 1966 build.

--- End quote ---
I had a San Jose build 66 GT Fastback dated March 28, 1966 (it speaks Australian now) that had no external tooth lock washers bolts (5/16-18 threads) used under the hood. All were disc on this car. An occasional external tooth type pops up now and then, no reason.

--- Quote from: Crgjohnson on December 11, 2017, 11:51:52 PM ---I thought it was P&O but had been told by multiple people that is was painted black.

--- End quote ---

A popular tale. Someone got under the hood with a can of spray paint to "freshen up" the look.

--- Quote from: Crgjohnson on December 11, 2017, 11:51:52 PM ---I don't see an AMK kit with these in the correct finish.

--- End quote ---
The Ford part number for that fender bolt is 378178-S2. It is a 5/16-18 X 1.0 inch hex head bolt (sometimes called a screw). The -S2 indicates a phosphate and oil finish. AMK sells them separately, not kits, in quantities of 12 or 50, with head markings of SEMS in a dual circle, or with double quotes (aka double ditto). I've found both head markings on San Jose cars.
Be careful in ordering, the same Ford part number was used for the external tooth type and a smooth surface disc washer.
Jim

J_Speegle:
Just as a reminder the date on the door tag/plate is not the completion date fro your car (likely) but a projected date. The date the person entered into the system as a guess when your order was received at San Jose and assigned a VIN

Looking at unrestored cars around that time with the tooth washer I found this example. Earlier and later they went to the smooth disc style for a while

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version