Author Topic: Who is going to McAllen?  (Read 3921 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Who is going to McAllen?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »
As far as I know there where only 2 of us at the last Grand National in KC. Many are changing to OCD because of all the rule changes in CTA. At least that is the reason they told me.
OCD???  Surely you mean ODA.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CW4macret

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 10:35:22 PM »
OCD???  Surely you mean ODA.
Occasionally driven
Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
01 Coupe
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 10:42:14 PM »
ODA is the class for Occasionally Driven, but now I understand.  You see, I am OCD myself!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CW4macret

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 06:23:48 AM »
ODA is the class for Occasionally Driven, but now I understand.  You see, I am OCD myself!
+1
Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
01 Coupe
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
sounds like they just want an award & don't care how the car can score in the top classes. rules changes were meant to help improve the cars.

Nothing wrong with the rules intending to improve the cars. (as they SHOULD be).

Making a level change UP no doubt is rewarding, learning what CAN be improved upon SHOULD always be welcomed. In the real world, not really true. People invest a lot of money to get to a sanctioned show, most want something to take home I would think.

I am not sure this thread is where to bring up RULES and or PROCESSES at but if a person is ready to "Step Up" to the next level (say once they regularly see GOLD in a lower-level class) they probably should not be sent packing (punished) with NO award either I would think.  Impartial judging will always be difficult to say the least (been discussed regularly) but if a car is ALMOST ready for the leap of faith it takes to go to the next level, perhaps there could be a "check-mark" of sorts on the judging sheet to give that prospective candidate a chance to see how they WOULD have scored at the next level, while at the same time allowing for the lesser-level award (perhaps a transition-type judging sheet). It seems there should be a way to keep members content with the "problems found" while judging the car, while also encouraging them to "Step Up".
...just by two-bits
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »
............ but if a car is ALMOST ready for the leap of faith it takes to go to the next level, perhaps there could be a "check-mark" of sorts on the judging sheet to give that prospective candidate a chance to see how they WOULD have scored at the next level, while at the same time allowing for the lesser-level award (perhaps a transition-type judging sheet). It seems there should be a way to keep members content with the "problems found" while judging the car, while also encouraging them to "Step Up".

We've discussed many times.

Owners often have the option to ask and get a review, maybe have their car used for a seminar, host a judging "party" , take the car to an earlier show after arranging to meet a judge or two there to review the car or bring in a judge prior to the show so a list can be created.  I know at least a few of us have approached and made the offer at local smaller shows before national take place to see if the people were planning on attending the national show and wanted to go over some areas in hopes to improve their possible scores.

Though not as complete plenty of people get their restoration reviews through email exchanges while a few have used forums such as this to accomplish the same.  But this is no where as good as in person

In most cases any and all of these options is cheaper and take less time than transporting a car to a national show to get a first look at a new restoration or in hopes of improving an older one.  At the same time nationally there are areas and members that believe that they can continue to shows their cars for almost endlessly putting little or no effort.  Gold once - gold forever  ::)

Agree this is material for another thread if we want to expand on resources, ideas and the like.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
 Moving up a class is usually a difficult task. A driven car moving up to a trailered class usually requires a partial new restoration plus a trailer. I can only recall one car moving from Trailered concours to Thoroughbred with success. That car was a low mileage unrestored  car the owner decided to partially restore to compete in THB class. Too often in my opinion older restorations move down a class rather than maintain or keep up with current rules. Unfortunately many owners would rather complain about the rules rather than clean or upgrade their restoration.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
Unfortunately many owners would rather complain about the rules rather than clean or upgrade their restoration.

oh how true that statement is. have heard it for years.
5F09C331248

Offline mmsnyr8120

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 11:33:18 PM »
I moved up from concours driven to concours trailered.  Charles gave me a silver after I got a gold my first time out in concours driven.  My car is a better car for that experience.  I only complain about the rules when cars that get gold don't deserve a gold and should have gotten a silver.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 11:50:10 PM »
............... I only complain about the rules when cars that get gold don't deserve a gold and should have gotten a silver.

I would suggest that that was the judges not the rules ;)

There are many that have always believed that if your too hard and expect too much you will run everyone off.

From my experience (coming up to almost 50 years of judging :o many organizations/club officers have choosen to keep people happy rather than establish and hold high expectation when it comes down to the bottom line.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)