Author Topic: '66 pony interior courtesy light fuse  (Read 924 times)

Offline socalgt

'66 pony interior courtesy light fuse
« on: June 23, 2018, 07:28:11 PM »
The courtesy light fuse keeps blowing.....I haven't made any recent changes to any electrical connections, so I don't have any idea exactly what was disturbed to cause the fuse to blow.  Any one have a sequence of steps to locate the problem?..... (other than tracing the wires from the fuse box to each light).  I assume removing each bulb one at a time won't help?

Thanks....by the way, it doesn't blow immediately after installing a new fuse...the lights just don't illuminate at some point when the door is open(it's not the jam switches).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:59:42 PM by socalgt »

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: '66 pony interior courtesy light fuse
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:59:14 PM »
My 66 fastback did the same thing before I tore everything down and then the problem disappeared.  There are a couple of places that can cause the fused courtesy lines (green/yellow) to blow when the courtesy lights (black/blue) are activated by the door jamb switches or headlight switch.  I'd start by looking closely at the door jamb switches, as it is very easy to short out the plugs into the switches.  The other common area may be the rear sail panel lights, as the lines may be pinched at the door sill or as the wires go over the wheel wells. 

A good trouble-shooting procedure is to remove all courtesy light bulbs and see if the fuse still blows.  It probably will.  Then disassemble on door jamb switch, being careful with the plugs to keep them from shorting.  Then try the other door.  Still blowing fuse?  Disassemble the other door jamb, and then try courtesy lights with the headlight switch.  Still blowing?  Then somewhere a wire is pinched. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline socalgt

Re: '66 pony interior courtesy light fuse
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:01:03 PM »
Thanks....I'll try that procedure....I added to my post that the fuse doesn't blow immediately after installing it.