Author Topic: Great experience with Ford license plate light restoration...  (Read 5993 times)

Offline Morsel

So I just got my license plate restored with the help of this guy Maksim Geyman (ich19liebe@yahoo.com). I found him on ebay looking at restored lights. The great thing I liked about him is he's been doing these for a while now and collecting parts and has a ton of original parts and OE bulbs and anything needed for these lights, then asks you what you want, OE cloth or repro or whatever needs to be used to cut down on cost if needed, whatever, he's very flexible, but prefers to do OE restorations. He has all years available or can restore yours for a very reasonable fee.

Anyway, great to work with and super nice and trusting guy. I mean the guy shipped me the light before I even paid him for his services, haha.

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
Re: Great experience with Ford license plate light restoration...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
JASON.

Thanks for the heads up. I got one restored by a guy of ebay in 2016, but i was far from impressed with his final item. nothing about the final product was 100% correct im my opinion.  bright and shiny and not like the advertised product by pictures in previous correspodance.

wont be going back there again!!!

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:57:22 PM »
JASON.

Thanks for the heads up. I got one restored by a guy of ebay in 2016, but i was far from impressed with his final item. nothing about the final product was 100% correct im my opinion.  bright and shiny and not like the advertised product by pictures in previous correspodance.

wont be going back there again!!!

regards

PHILL BERESFORD

Yes, this guy is totally into it and really wants to make you happy with the end result. Highly recommend...

Jason
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »
Pics, pics, pics. Please   ;D
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »
Oh, I got a few just about ready to install, mostly 65.
PM if interested.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:31:15 PM »
Pics, pics, pics. Please   ;D

Look at my post under members restoration/builds, I started with me leaf springs but then showed the license plate light... take a peek, came out great. I did the final rivets and assembly, but he did most of the work :0

Jason

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 09:31:37 PM »
Oh, I got a few just about ready to install, mostly 65.
PM if interested.
Jim

Wow, now that's a box, haha...

Jason

Offline DragPack69

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 09:32:59 AM »
that light looks great !

If I may ask, what did it cost for this? I have 2 I need done.

John

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 12:33:18 PM »
Those lights, along with other items, were gold zinc plate as a "lot", eg a "lot" charge applied. (My plater is car friendly, his father had a 67 hardtop.) My normal lot size is about 75 items of different sizes, so an individual piece charge is difficult. As there are about 6 items that comprise the assembly, that make pricing more complicated. I also bead blast, replace the insulation sleeve, and install new rivets. The date on my original pictures is over ten years ago, and I haven't sent a gold zinc project in a while.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 02:00:14 PM »
Those lights, along with other items, were gold zinc plate as a "lot", eg a "lot" charge applied. (My plater is car friendly, his father had a 67 hardtop.) My normal lot size is about 75 items of different sizes, so an individual piece charge is difficult. As there are about 6 items that comprise the assembly, that make pricing more complicated. I also bead blast, replace the insulation sleeve, and install new rivets. The date on my original pictures is over ten years ago, and I haven't sent a gold zinc project in a while.
Jim
Jim,I am curious how much time do you think you have invested in one complete restoration of a license plate light from start (Initial cleaning and disassembly)  not including the plating service to finish putting in a bulb and testing? Also guesstimate time to  round up all of the other extras needed like sheath,wire gaskets etc. I already know I am slow but I wanted to get a sense of others experiences.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 04:00:44 PM »
Jim,I am curious how much time do you think you have invested in one complete restoration of a license plate light from start (Initial cleaning and disassembly)  not including the plating service to finish putting in a bulb and testing? Also guesstimate time to  round up all of the other extras needed like sheath,wire gaskets etc. I already know I am slow but I wanted to get a sense of others experiences.
"Does Macy's tell Gimbel's?"
Look for a pm.
Jim

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
If they did would it be a miracle?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 07:15:39 PM »
Here's an odd date stamping. It's "bG", lower case "b", upper case "G". One instance is an oddity, two are a trend. I interpret that as "6G", and assume the number "6" was wearing out and, as the end of the production year was near, the  letter "b" was used as a "6".
Stamping on license plate lights was not totally consistent. Most are on the frame in the location where the "bG" is located, some are on the opposite side, some are a single letter, and some are missing (I can't show you those, they're "missing"). Each assembly had the appropriate Ford logo, SAE markings and correct wire.
Jim

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »
"Does Macy's tell Gimbel's?"
Look for a pm.
Jim
Jim,you misinterpreted my message. I'm not looking for costs or spelling out processes . I was looking for time spent to give others a idea of work involved when considering a price someone may charge to do it so that they can consider if a charge is high or low.  Disregarding the material costs associated some people for instance may think that this license plate light restoration is a hour long project from start to finish. It's far more then that . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 12:46:41 AM »
In discussions with, and with the urging of Bob, I created a write up on License Plate Light Restoration. It's in the library.
Jim