Author Topic: Rebuilding Automatic Shifter - 69  (Read 1082 times)

Offline cg in tx

Rebuilding Automatic Shifter - 69
« on: October 14, 2018, 04:14:33 PM »
Sorry a newbe here. I am rebuilding an automatic shifter for my 1969 Mach 1 project. I have two shifters I am getting parts from. The shifters are different. From my research it looks like the top shifter is from a car with an FMX transmission as the plastic neutral safety switch is on the shifter. The bottom shifter has none. The top shifter also has a blue plastic piece that looks like a light filter that is not on the bottom shifter. The shifter bases are also different with the top base more square and the bottom base more rounded in the front. What is correct for the 69 Mach 1? 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:14:23 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline cg in tx

Re: Rebuilding Automatic Shifter
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 04:15:59 PM »
Sorry, the photo rotated. Top means the left shifter.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Rebuilding Automatic Shifter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 05:49:37 PM »
First, welcome to the forum.
I'm looking at the 69 Mustang Chassis Assembly Manual (AM0030 pg46 - available from most Mustang stores) which indicates that there is only one shifter for all engine/transmissions for 1969. The only "clue" on that page to your question is the front edge of the shifter body housing is straight and there are four mounting holes, like the top one in you picture. It also depicts the reverse lockout/back up light switch is integral to the housing. That about all I can tell you.
I do recommend you get a set of the Mustang Assembly manuals for your car. Another source is the 72 MPC (aka For Car Parts) which you can download from here:
http://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
It consists of 45 sections, about 432 MB of data.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Rebuilding Automatic Shifter - 69
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 07:19:50 PM »
.........What is correct for the 69 Mach 1?

Yes welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and details helpful in your restoration related projects.

You may have missed it in the FAQs but you will find it helpful to include the details about your car with questions you post here or your simply be asked each tome for them  ::) This helps us provide the best answers to your questions. 

Some just add the info to their signatures so that its always there automatically. Things like when and where the car was built (months can matter) and for questions like this engine size would narrow down what transmission you car likely came with.  Can't tell that from just that its a Mach I ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
The left one is for a 1969/70 with what looks like a small pawl and FMX. The right side is 1971-73, those will always use the large pawl. The 1971-73 shifter assembly looks to have had a C6 transmission.  It is broken by the way.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 11:44:36 PM »
Just FYI, 69/70 cars with a C4 or C6 (6cyl,302,390,428) had the neutral safety switch on the transmission, the 351 cars equipped with an FMX had the neutral safety switch in the shifter cup. Otherwise most of the shifter parts are the same …

John