Author Topic: Tail light panel  (Read 1497 times)

Offline aaatp

Tail light panel
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »
Hey Guys: My 66 Dearborn convertible, built in late Feb. of 66, is at the body shop. We are trying to determine
what the bow or curve should be in the tail light panel from the ends to the center, if any. The car was hit there along time ago,and the original shape is not there. I was thinking maybe 1/2 to a 1/4 of an inch. I noticed that the decklid has some curve to it also, but am not sure if it was also hit. If some one could give me a dimension, it sure would help. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks Much: John

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Tail light panel
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »
Bolt on an OEM rear bumper and original trunk lid and you'll get your fit.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline e093116

Re: Tail light panel
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:59:03 PM »
I would assemble the rear valence, trunk lid, bumper, fender extensions, and tail lights together as a system and "adjust" as necessary until all gaps are uniform/to your satisfaction.  You will know pretty quickly if the tail panel is out if it does not match the trunk lid and bumper.

The gasket on the trunk lid will change the position slightly, so if you settle on a trunk lid position without the gasket installed you might not be able to get the lid into the same position during final assembly.  You might want to think about sacrificing a gasket for this step or if you only want to use one gasket, temporarily tape it in place.   

65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date