Author Topic: When is a original firewall pad expected to be used  (Read 1342 times)

Offline preaction

When is a original firewall pad expected to be used
« on: December 15, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »
Would thoroughbred class be the place where a original firewall pad would be expected to be in place or is there other classes where their used ?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:59:15 PM by carlite65 »
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: When is a origional firewall pad expected to be used
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 04:15:55 PM »
Would thoroughbred class be the place where a original firewall pad would be expected to be in place or is there other classes where their used ?
Given there are different looking ones used at different plants then a correct looking one would be expected . How far off from what would be expected depending on plant the car was built at would determine if it would garner just a mention or a deduction.Sometimes Judges completely over look the pads for one reason or another. SJ pads for instance have a distinct dot pattern that is hard to duplicate . The Dearborn and Metuchen plants used a pad with a easier to duplicate spray texture pattern.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline preaction

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 05:32:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bob, Jeff has put a link list of what seems to be all of the firewall pad threads in one easy to access  ;) list of links when searching for info about restoration and identification of the Dearborn/NJ vs SJ types I didn't see anything about when the effort would be appropriate or needed.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 07:58:08 PM »
.............. I didn't see anything about when the effort would be appropriate or needed.

Look at it the other way

Since the goal of restoring is putting the car back to the way it was originally built/delivered is there a time when its NOT appropriate to use the right parts ;)

I always expect to see a representation of an original, correct for year, application and plant, when I view a car or consider it for purchase. Anything less IMHO speaks volumes (like other details) as to the efforts and knowledge of the owner and builder. Don't fall for the "No one will notice" line.

Remember the end product is a collection of your choices.

Your communicating to others when they view your work - make sure it communicates what you were trying to convey.  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)