Author Topic: 67/68 Hood Hinge Color  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
67/68 Hood Hinge Color
« on: March 22, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
This thread talks about the 64.5/66 hood hinge color and then wanders off to other years.
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16903.15

There are a lot of threads on hood hinges for 67/8, but none talk specifically about color.
So instead of polluting the other threads, I'll start this one for this specific set of years.

Anghels Restoration has this tutorial on hood hinge styles and somewhat deals with colors. However, the colors shown in the tutorial appear to show hinges that are stripped or are original and may have lost their original finish.

Jim( jwc66k) shows the finish on his first gen car as a dark black phosphate almost identical to the finish of the early PO bolts:

Richard (67gtasanjose) shows his NOS 67 hinges as a bit darker with less oil (or soaked in):

Ads for Ed's 69 hinges and latch appear to show the dark black as well:

Jeff showed this 65 hinge and although lighting and age are definitely a key, this shows a much lighter finish:

Jeff's 65 pic aligns with the finish I put on my hinges. However after seeing Ed's ad plus going back and viewing dozens of hinges (including Anghels picture of the three very light hinges in the turorial) I find myself more confused than enlightened. So confused that I took my hinges and spent considerable effort removing the Boeshield (that stuff is very hard to remove) in order to darken them up. My stripped of Boeshield hinges are shown in the attachment below.

Based on everything I've seen and read, the darker version of the PO is what's expected? I've gone through some effort to get a tank large enough to do these large hinges, so I hope the answer is yes!

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline preaction

Re: 67/68 Hood Hinge Color
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 02:30:36 PM »
Bill, have your hinges been treated to a phosphate bath before removing the Boeshield ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
Bill, have your hinges been treated to a phosphate bath before removing the Boeshield ?

Kind of. For some parts I spray a cold Phosphate etch, blow dry and then Boeshield. It looks a bit like a very light hot phosphate or a straight up zinc phosphate.

Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
This thread talks about the 64.5/66 hood hinge color and then wanders off to other years.
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16903.15

There are a lot of threads on hood hinges for 67/8, but none talk specifically about color.
So instead of polluting the other threads, I'll start this one for this specific set of years.

Anghels Restoration has this tutorial on hood hinge styles and somewhat deals with colors. However, the colors shown in the tutorial appear to show hinges that are stripped or are original and may have lost their original finish.

Jim( jwc66k) shows the finish on his first gen car as a dark black phosphate almost identical to the finish of the early PO bolts:

Richard (67gtasanjose) shows his NOS 67 hinges as a bit darker with less oil (or soaked in):

Ads for Ed's 69 hinges and latch appear to show the dark black as well:

Jeff showed this 65 hinge and although lighting and age are definitely a key, this shows a much lighter finish:

Jeff's 65 pic aligns with the finish I put on my hinges. However after seeing Ed's ad plus going back and viewing dozens of hinges (including Anghels picture of the three very light hinges in the turorial) I find myself more confused than enlightened. So confused that I took my hinges and spent considerable effort removing the Boeshield (that stuff is very hard to remove) in order to darken them up. My stripped of Boeshield hinges are shown in the attachment below.

Based on everything I've seen and read, the darker version of the PO is what's expected? I've gone through some effort to get a tank large enough to do these large hinges, so I hope the answer is yes!

The shade of the hinge that you post from Jeff s is closer then the darker ones IMO. I have seen variations but they are typically lighter then the dark examples you posted pictures of. I think that photography may have the Jeff S. hinge showing up a little lighter then real life. With that said I would shot for something a little darker then the Jeff S. picture but not the other end of the spectrum like the others you posted. it is a small amount of difference . You would be good in concours with any of them. Just my opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 05:28:13 PM »
The proof may be in time. Here is the same hinge after eight years, plus the other side.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
I agree that heat and time will change these finishes.
Thanks for the pic!
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
I agree that heat and time will change these finishes.
Thanks for the pic!

Add to that the setting on the camera, your monitor how old the batch of chemicals (how many uses) when the originals were plated.

Remember your not looking for an exact match but a range for allot of the details when restoring a car.  Then in other details the range is narrower and more exact ;)

If it were easy everyone would be restoring cars and there would be no need for forums expect an never ending "Looks great" series of post  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)