Author Topic: Cobra and Tri Power Intake Manifolds  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Snydly289

Cobra and Tri Power Intake Manifolds
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:51:13 AM »
So I have read various discussions on this forum as well as other forums about the differences between the 65/67-67 Shelby COBRA aluminum intake manifolds, whether original or over the counter and reproductions.

I have come across this large script COBRA intake manifold that the owner stated is an original intake, not aftermarket or over the counter. Hard to tell, but the casting number on the back of the intake rear the rear crossover gasket location reads S1MS 9424 A (Very hard to read, and discregard the odd date water marks). Intake also has the oval flange as opposed to the circular 4 hole flange, the distributor notch in the A of COBRA and 66-67 coil mounting hole. I'm 99% sure this is not an intake that would have come on a production Shelby, can anyone confirm this? I don't want to purchase a non original intake for an original price.

On another note, has anyone come across this type of 289/302 Tri-Power intake manifold? All of the Tri-Power intakes I have seen (both originals and aftermarket) do not have the flanges "connected" to one another. The ones I have seen have the carb mounting flanges separate of one another with gaps between each one. It appears to be in a new condition with no corrosion at the water ports. It also has the rear PCV hole.

I was not able to get close enough to both intakes to search for the small manufactures stamps on the bottom side of the intakes sadly.
65 K Code Fastback -5F09K325XXX, Oct. '64, Vintage Burg, Rally Pac, Arvinode Exh, lots '64 items
66 A Code GT Coupe -4 speed, bench Seat, P/S, A/C, Rally Pac, handling package, 8 track
66 A Code Fastback -Built 302, 66 S2MS Intake, WC T-5, 4-wheel Wilwoods, locking 9"
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline swingkid

Re: Cobra and Tri Power Intake Manifolds
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:04:19 AM »
Hi, do you Know anything more about the mentioned s1ms intake, as i habe fit the same and would ne Interested to Know more about it. Thanks you!
Thorsten

63B M 62 27Q 72 6 6

Offline Snydly289

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:45:30 AM »
Hi, do you Know anything more about the mentioned s1ms intake, as i habe fit the same and would ne Interested to Know more about it. Thanks you!

Yes, I have found that this is an aftermarket intake manifold. It may be however a very early aftermarket manifold. MustangTek even has some pictures of one on their intake manifold list. 
65 K Code Fastback -5F09K325XXX, Oct. '64, Vintage Burg, Rally Pac, Arvinode Exh, lots '64 items
66 A Code GT Coupe -4 speed, bench Seat, P/S, A/C, Rally Pac, handling package, 8 track
66 A Code Fastback -Built 302, 66 S2MS Intake, WC T-5, 4-wheel Wilwoods, locking 9"
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline swingkid

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »
Trank you very much! I have Seen the same in mustangtek But wanted to get sure
Thorsten

63B M 62 27Q 72 6 6