Author Topic: Alternator P/N  (Read 339 times)

Offline bmcgc

Alternator P/N
« on: July 26, 2019, 11:45:31 AM »
This may be covered, but a search yielded no results, or maybe I didnt search the correct terms.

My 65 289 Dearborn coupe has a scheduled build date of 14 Aug 64 as per the date code on the door tag.

Original no ps or ac, the previous owner added dealer ac and I am adding factory ps.

What is the correct p/n for the alternator?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Alternator P/N
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 12:03:39 PM »
This may be covered, but a search yielded no results, or maybe I didnt search the correct terms.

My 65 289 Dearborn coupe has a scheduled build date of 14 Aug 64 as per the date code on the door tag.

Original no ps or ac, the previous owner added dealer ac and I am adding factory ps.

What is the correct p/n for the alternator?
Are trying to find out the part number of the alternator or the correct identification stamp used on the alternator? Also do you want the one correct for the car as equipped from the factory or a alternator appropriate for a car with the added A/C option? Just saw how the request could be about two different things.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:18:43 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
A while back we discussed alternator options for 65 (+66?) and based on Ford assembly diagrams, plus looking at original examples, the only 2 alternators available were 38A or 42A.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline bmcgc

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 10:09:21 PM »
An original case can be rebuilt to 65A specs.

I just need to know what p/n to look for.

Would my 64 build have a 65 p/n or an earlier p/n?

Alternators were used on Ford and Linc products prior to 1965 on some lines.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 12:18:12 AM »
An original case can be rebuilt to 65A specs.

I just need to know what p/n to look for.

Would my 64 build have a 65 p/n or an earlier p/n?

Alternators were used on Ford and Linc products prior to 1965 on some lines.
You are not going to see a part number on individual pieces when the alternator is assembled . Go to this link https://www.deadnutson.com/1965-1971-ford-autolite-alternators/  and study the 1965 example. Jake has done his homework so you can rely on the details. You can use the details to source the parts to make up a alternator local to you or buy one Jack's ready built. His of course will have assemblyline markings applied where a local rebuilder will not most typically . The visible differences is how most identify the alternators and the parts that make them up. Once assembled a ink stamp with a specific color identifies the capacity of the alternator. Otherwise they are basically identical on the outside to each other. Other early Fords used alternators but some of the full size cars used a visually different type compared to a Mustang .
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 10:15:55 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby