Author Topic: NOS Stripe Kit backing paper adhesive removal?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline rgoudsward

NOS Stripe Kit backing paper adhesive removal?
« on: August 15, 2019, 04:23:09 PM »
I have a 1969 Mustang Mach1. I'm installing a NOS stripe kit and the backing paper adhesive will not come off. Any suggestions of products to use for the backing paper removal?  Goo Be Gone or similar  product without damaging  the stripes?
Thanks,
Ric in So Cal
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:33:55 PM by carlite65 »

Offline rgoudsward

Re: NOS Stripe Kit backing paper adhesive removal?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »
Here is a picture.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 04:43:44 PM »
First welcome to the forum . We are like minded enthusiasts . Please don't shoot the messenger. I am sorry to report that the stripe kit is ruined for the use of applying to the car IMO. It sounds like the adhesive that holds the stripe to the car has started to dry out . Regardless of if  it is dried out completely or just in spots It is not worth using. That is the problem happens often when using NOS stripe kits. You can try and clean off the dried adhesive and separate the stripe from the paper but it will still not be usable by most any restorers standards.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rgoudsward

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 05:13:09 PM »
The stripes do adhere to the vehicle.  The problem is the backing paper sticks to the stripes in certain  areas not all. See picture. I've tried using mild adhesive remover. Again the problem is removing the backing paper from the strip after it's on the vehicle.
Thanks,
Ric

Offline tobkob

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 05:48:44 PM »
I have 2 NOS stripe sets for a 69/70 GT350 but I opted to go with a new set to avoid this type of issues. That is much simpler than  removing a partial set when the last section won't work out ( the new and old will not look right mixed). There are some really accurate repro stripes available. The advantage to using old stripes is you get to practice applying stripes  ;D  Good luck with whichever choice you make. :)

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.