Author Topic: Smog Pump repair parts  (Read 3016 times)

Offline KevinK

Smog Pump repair parts
« on: October 25, 2019, 06:51:55 PM »
Has anyone Tracked down parts to repair the smog pump? I did find one supplier on EBay selling a kit for 68-89.  I’m mostly interested in replacing the bearings and likely removing the vanes on my 74.

It looks like the Chevy smog pump might be pretty much the same.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Smog Pump repair parts
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 10:26:40 PM »
Consider that if you remove the vanes you will likely have issues ( burn paint and such) from the hot exhaust gases making their way up into tubes and check valves since there since there will not be a consent flow of fresh cool air in the system. So you will need to address that. Consider keeping the guts only cost about 3-4 hp if working correctly according to tests in the 80's and 70's

Don't know if a 74 Ford style pump is the same as Camaro. On earlier cars there are many small differences and some use the later pumps to fake (well sort of) the early 66-70 version
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:30:19 PM »
I would be interested in a link to the eBay "kit".  The only part you need to do what you describe is the front bearing, which is a 6203-2.  I use the RS version which is rubber shielded, though the originals were a coated metal shield design.

The pump can be difficult to disassemble.  You need a press.  Apply heat to the housing around the original front bearing to soften the retaining plastic material before you press it out or you risk breaking out the front of the housing.

I restore these pumps if you want a pump with concours appearance.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 10:52:45 PM »
When I used to remove the vanes on the pump so that it was free wheeling  I also plugged the ports on the cylinder heads. In my case 67-70 I brazed the bottom of the threaded thermactor ferrels that threaded into the head shut. The ferrels were not yet attached to the tubes . That way I could easily wiggle the tubes in and out of the ferrels for tune up maintenance etc. and yet the system looked function and historically correct. The smog pump was free wheeling and no hot exhaust gas's were making their way into the vaneless pump.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 08:28:11 AM »
Regarding these pumps and Concours use of the pumps as the EPA expected and as Ford engineered them to function...
The purpose of the introduction of air into the exhaust via a port in the head or manifold was to INCREASE exhaust temperature to assist in burning off emissions.
That being said, the 3 or 4 horsepower loss would also not be a concern in Concours use but the extra HEAT may cause other concerns for an engine that may be run occasionally at operating temperatures (a "driven" car).

If plans are to DRIVE  a smog pump equipped car, what Bob suggested may be an option IF LOCAL OR STATE LAWS DO NOT PROHIBIT IT.

It would be beneficial to NOT increase the heat in the exhaust system by neutering the pump since it would help restorers in maintaining the exhaust parts along the course of time. Obviously rusting inside the exhaust system will occur or continued corrosion  will occur anytime you fire up an engine so again, depending what your plans are for the build, all these things can be considered.

FWIW, I plan to occasionally drive my 67 289 Thermactor so I have neutered the system. Local laws do not require emissions testing at this time for 67 year model vehicles.
I inserted 1/2" expansion plugs inside the AIR tubes, just below the AIR check valves, no vanes in pump and soldered closed the vacuum source to the diverter valve.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 08:45:32 AM »
I used to be a regular participant in both the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race and also the Factory Stock Muscle Car Drag Race series. As such my '68 427 GT-E was a great candidate because it is entirely stock. I also ran my (then) 428CJ Cougar in the Factory Stock series in 2002.

The series does not require having the smog equipment installed so the first couple of years I did not have any on the car. After a few years I realized the race is more about consistency than being the absolute fastest. So I installed all the factory thermactor parts in working condition prior to the 2007 PSMCD races.

I was not able to determine that it had any effect on ET or top speed. The Jet Hot coating on the exhaust manifolds remains unaffected as far as I can see despite several thousand street miles and a dozen or so passes at the drag strip.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline KevinK

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »
eBay link
https://ebay.us/92fK1z

From what I see in the pump, the rear roller bearing is visible. Looks to need a puller to remove. I have not gotten to the front bearing yet. From what I have read, it needs to be epoxied in on replacement.

Currently, my 74 v6 has everything but the pump.  I’m also missing the slotted bracket which is a 1 year only part. I think the I6 bracket is a close resemblance and might work.

I tried contacting a mustang 2 parts dealer and he tried to tell me smog equipment did not exist in 74 anD that all the pumps were Year specific. Rockauto shows them to be very universal. So much for the experts.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 02:52:50 PM by KevinK »
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 12:32:57 PM »
That eBay seller is Hart Bros of Albany, Oregon. 541-259-4278.
They rebuild water pumps and smog pumps. Also sell rebuild kits for water pumps, new HiPo water pump impellers.

We know them since they are local. Have suggested several times that they should consider expanding their website to include the rebuild kits and parts. Lots of positive feedback for their services.
http://www.hartbroscore.com/home.html
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 10:06:16 PM »
Yes, old topic, but I'll try to add some value.  For the 1966-67 version, the front bearing is a 6203, was not serviced separately from Ford, but is readily available.  The rear bearing is a DB-36227, was serviced from Ford as part number C6AZ-9B477-A, but is NOT available.  I've searched at the usual NOS parts suppliers as well as generic replacements.

Also there is a partial parallel older discussion here; https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4963.msg27666#msg27666

Lastly, I thought I was going to stump Jim by seeing if the 379524 screw, embedded inside of the thermactor pump, was missing from his hardware/fastener spreadsheet.  Nope - he's captured it.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 10:49:01 PM »
Yes, old topic, but I'll try to add some value.  For the 1966-67 version, the front bearing is a 6203, was not serviced separately from Ford, but is readily available.  The rear bearing is a DB-36227, was serviced from Ford as part number C6AZ-9B477-A, but is NOT available.  I've searched at the usual NOS parts suppliers as well as generic replacements.

The C6AZ-9B477-A rear smog pump bearing is very tough to find, took me years but i ended up with 3 NOS examples from one supplier.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 08:59:51 AM »
That early (66-67) pump in the exploded view is a completely different animal than the 68-73 (and later) pump.  It was supposed to be serviceable and the later ones were not.  BTW, the rear bearing for the 68-73 pump is commercially available but does not normally need to be replaced unless it is very rusty.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 11:40:38 AM »
Agreed that it is different.  I made the decision to tack onto this thread because it is the only one I found.  I figured that Jeff could make the call as to whether or not it should be split.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660