Author Topic: Help identifying item  (Read 1479 times)

Offline orlandod

Help identifying item
« on: November 24, 2019, 05:17:32 PM »
1969 FB 351W-4V c/w air. I have this clip/retainer on the firewall and would like to replace it. Can anyone give me the description or name of it so I can source it at NPD. Thanks
1969 Mach 1
San Jose
351W-4V
Built 03/24/69
3.00/FMX

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Help identifying item
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 05:24:50 PM »
1969 FB 351W-4V c/w air. I have this clip/retainer on the firewall and would like to replace it. Can anyone give me the description or name of it so I can source it at NPD. Thanks
You could also blast it and dip it in the tool handle rubble sold at hardware stores.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 07:51:32 PM »
I have this clip/retainer on the firewall and would like to replace it.
What are the two "lines" going thru the clip? Does the clip have a screw holding it? Is the clip bent? A picture from further away would help in determining the what and where.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 02:27:13 PM »
What are the two "lines" going thru the clip? Does the clip have a screw holding it? Is the clip bent? A picture from further away would help in determining the what and where.
Jim

Retainer looks to be the one over the heater motor on the passenger side of the firewall that held vacuum lines. Like Bob I've typically cleaned and recoated these with tool dip or just made a new one out of strap steel and coated it/them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
Is this it?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 10:27:56 PM »
Yes believe that its the same. Been discussed in a number of other threads covering 67 through 70 if I recall correctly.  AC and vacuum canister related   A couple of examples

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19368.msg122462#msg122462

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8992.msg61088#msg61088

Other years

Jeff Speegle

Offline Wills70

Mystery J clip
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 12:10:01 PM »
Hi I have this clip I believe was  in the engine bay on my 1970 Dearborn  Mustang with integral AC, it looks like it could secure a heater hose. Can anyone verify this before I bother to restore it.

Thanks Will

Offline ruppstang

Re: Mystery J clip
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 02:41:09 PM »
It looks like the one on a 68 that goes on the firewall that holds the vacuum hoses.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 07:11:11 PM »
Hi I have this clip I believe was  in the engine bay on my 1970 Dearborn  Mustang with integral AC, it looks like it could secure a heater hose. Can anyone verify this before I bother to restore it.

Will  - just merged your question with an earlier thread int he same section about the same item. As Marty posted its the same "strap" used from 67-70 as you can see. Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline Wills70

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 10:28:43 AM »
Thanks so much Jeff!  Exactly what i was looking for, and pictures of placement ! I am going to do as Bob suggested  and have it zinc plated and plasti-dipped.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays
Will

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 08:07:12 PM »
................. I am going to do as Bob suggested  and have it zinc plated and plasti-dipped.

Didn't wee where the finish of the metal had been discussed not certain that they were all that finish or were made and supplied by the same company that made the other AC hose straps used in the engine compartment that held the hoes together that were not zinc plated

So often all we find today is rusty ones but peeling back the rubber to unrusted metal I don't recall seeing zinc. Sure discussion will follow as it should :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 06:28:46 PM »
Didn't wee where the finish of the metal had been discussed not certain that they were all that finish or were made and supplied by the same company that made the other AC hose straps used in the engine compartment that held the hoes together that were not zinc plated

So often all we find today is rusty ones but peeling back the rubber to unrusted metal I don't recall seeing zinc. Sure discussion will follow as it should :)
I agree with Jeff on the probable smooth shiny steel finish . My suggestion of plating the metal is the simplest way to get a closer look of the original. Once blasted it would be extremely difficult to get the exact smooth sheen look of the smooth steel surface back on the original part.Just a alternative that I have used with success.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 11:00:16 PM »
I would suggest that since the item is a simple one that if you have a rusty one its possibly easier and simpler to just make a new one by getting a new piece of metal strap and dip it once its cut and formed. Just what I found was easier - unless I had a few nice unresuted obes from donor car just like some have done for the other straps mentioned above
Jeff Speegle