Author Topic: Firewall pad reproduction  (Read 901 times)

Offline Steve.chatman

Firewall pad reproduction
« on: February 16, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »
Any thoughts as to who has the best reproduction firewall pad for a 69 Dearborn car 1-9-60 build date?
 Mine has fallen apart and has pieces missing.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: Firewall pad reproduction
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 01:41:22 PM »
There is no good reproduction for this part.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 03:51:43 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 05:20:40 PM »
Agreed nothing close for any of the years or plants but your lucky in that your looking at 69 Dearborn and you can at least try and use the cheap reproduction and make it look much closer to an original by spraying the side towards the interior with undercoating as described in some of the threads on the site Tape the edges of openings and outer edges before applying to get that freshly cut look to the edges

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=574.msg2904#msg2904

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=729.msg3904#msg3904

Examples of the original texture

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 05:25:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 07:02:46 PM »
It is much easier to repair a falling apart Dearborn firewall pad for the reasons and methods Jeff explained about doctoring a repro pad. You can glue together parts and blend them in with the body Schultz type products and end up with a superior looking part.  If you have all of your pieces I would encourage you to try and repair your original before resorting to the poor repro pads. Remember the back side that faces the firewall can be the material canvas, burlap etc. that you glue to because if trimmed properly it will not be seen once installed. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Steve.chatman

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 06:29:02 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, I?d use my old one and repair it but I?m afraid sizable pieces are missing.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 06:43:38 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, I?d use my old one and repair it but I?m afraid sizable pieces are missing.
You might check with West Coast Cougars and see what they have. They may be able to sell you a full pad or partial to use to fill the gaps on yours. Given the  questions you have asked in other threads and parts you have bought in the past I do not think you will be satisfied with a repro even after it has been doctored. It is a big job to put one in and you only want to do it once on your car. Just my observations.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Steve.chatman

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 11:45:43 PM »
Thanks Bob