Author Topic: Jack Finish  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Carl

Jack Finish
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »
Every one I have has been refinished somewhere along the way.  Were the factory jacks dipped, or painted then assembled?  If they were dipped, were there large areas where the overlap of parts prevented the paint from coating?  If they weren't dipped, what finish were te rivets?

Carl

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Jack Finish
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:10:36 PM »
I am guessing they were dipped, only because they seem to have received 100% coverage on the painted portions and don't look like they were riveted after paint.  They must have been assembled after paint though, since the screw and other parts are not painted.  These are my opinions, but here is the original in my 3/69 car so draw your own conclusions;

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:58:45 AM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Carl

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
Makes some sense, the main screw could be threaded in and peened after the rest was dipped. Any chance you can tell if the jack was open or closed when dipped? 
I've got to admit, dipped still doesn't make sense to me as an engineer, you'd think the paint would bind between tight surfaces on the adjacent links, as well as never get to the surfaces where there are overlaps.

Carl

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:50:17 AM »
Makes some sense, the main screw could be threaded in and peened after the rest was dipped. Any chance you can tell if the jack was open or closed when dipped? 
I've got to admit, dipped still doesn't make sense to me as an engineer, you'd think the paint would bind between tight surfaces on the adjacent links, as well as never get to the surfaces where there are overlaps.

To that end here are some pictures of other originals - you can find a finish shadow on the picture of the complete jack and the possible evidence of the dipping process on the other two close ups. Have produced similar "bubbles" in the paint surface during dipping

Almost looks like they were dipped in the position (just a thought) they would be in when placed in the car. (the top picture is of a 68 jack)

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)