Author Topic: Space saver markings on tire  (Read 2493 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Space saver markings on tire
« on: September 28, 2020, 11:31:07 PM »
I have sometimes seen white stenciling on the tire and I was wondering if it is normal? Some appear to be the tire type/size (eg F70-14) and some look to be other codes as I am curious to know if all wheels came with it.
Brad

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Space saver markings on tire
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 05:14:44 AM »
I have sometimes seen white stenciling on the tire and I was wondering if it is normal? Some appear to be the tire type/size (eg F70-14) and some look to be other codes as I am curious to know if all wheels came with it.
Brad

Looked and found just over a half a dozen examples of the 70 version that had markings on the tread surface of the space saver spare tires Likely all came that was. Appears the the markings were not stenciled on but applied with a roller IMHO at this point in time. Have some other later versions that have similar markings in the same location
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 09:19:28 PM »
Thanks Jeff and a roller makes sense, considering the curved surface.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 06:13:02 AM »
Just looked and found some additional pictures in my collection and can offer the following

See the size and some coding on the examples I have pictures of and size of the font appears in two different sizes - one style covers two bands while the other covers about three.

In another part of the printing it appears to be coding - sometimes smaller than the size of tire printing and sometimes two different sizes in the same coding. Not enough examples at this point for me to make out the meaning of the coding at this point 

Do have three examples with the taller tire size printing with a "L7CU" preceding the tire size

Wish it was more consistent and they were all the same. Would make it much easier.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 06:19:39 PM »
Jeff Speegle