Author Topic: Identifying Seat Frame  (Read 2582 times)

Offline cstoyer

Identifying Seat Frame
« on: May 26, 2021, 02:28:30 PM »
Hello

This is my first post.  I am looking to identify a a pair of bucket seats I have that needs restored.  The upholstery has the vertical pattern telling me it is a 68 but the upper seat frame does not have the latch.  The seat back also has the crash pad and runners done the back less headrest.  Also, the tag on the bottom frame has a date code of 9/26/67.  one other thing is the presence of two bumpers on each bottom and back the stop the seat in the upright position.  I do not believe the seats have been recovered based on the age of the material, type of material, horsehair and wire backed burlap, plus the markings on the foam and fabric.  Any distinctive things I can use to truly tell what I have?  Need to do some rust removal on them prior to recovering so help on a good process for that would be helpful as well.

CStoyer
You can pay someone for their work but spending the time on learning to do it yourself is priceless

Offline jwc66k

Re: Identifying Seat Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 02:37:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum. A picture would help in identifying the seats.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline cstoyer

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 03:55:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum. A picture would help in identifying the seats.
Jim
Jim
Hopefully this works.

Here are a couple pictures.  Yes they are rough.
You can pay someone for their work but spending the time on learning to do it yourself is priceless

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 04:09:26 PM »
They almost look like 65-66 seats. Could you take a picture of the underside, like the sliding track?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 04:25:25 PM »
9/26/67 would be well within the 1968 model year
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline cstoyer

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »
They almost look like 65-66 seats. Could you take a picture of the underside, like the sliding track?
Jim

Jim

Thank you for the reply.  Here are few more pictures before and during teardown.  The rust looks worse than it is but they will be getting media processed and soaked before recovering. 

Thanks,
CStoyer 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 06:05:54 PM »
The upholstery has the vertical pattern telling me it is a 68 but the upper seat frame does not have the latch.  The seat back also has the crash pad and runners done the back less headrest.  Also, the tag on the bottom frame has a date code of 9/26/67.  one other thing is the presence of two bumpers on each bottom and back the stop the seat in the upright position. 
9/26/67 would be well within the 1968 model year
The 1968 Mustang front seats are supposed to have the seat latch. That's the problem. The striker is supposed to be attached to the seat base with screws, located in front of the pivot posts, and the seat backs are supposed to have the latch mechanism. Replacement 68 upholstery will have a cutout for the striker. The two seat bumpers are a 68 feature.
Are there provisions on the outside frame near the pivot post for the striker, like two tapped holes?
The rust looks worse than it is but they will be getting media processed and soaked before recovering. 
I bead blast the frames and springs separately, paint semi-gloss black, and then reassemble.
Jim

Offline K-HESS

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 06:21:27 PM »
How about the 1968 Ford F100 pickup seats. Its the only vehicle I can think of that wouldn't need access to the backseat. The bucket seat option was available in a pickup in 1968. The Bronco used the same style seat but had levers at the bottom of the seat. The Ranchero used a different designed seat and also had levers up high. The pickup is the only vehicle that I know of that didn't have levers.
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline cstoyer

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 08:26:27 PM »
Are there provisions on the outside frame near the pivot post for the striker, like two tapped holes?I bead blast the frames and springs separately, paint semi-gloss black, and then reassemble.
Jim

Jim

There are two taped holes in the seat frame near the pivot.  Thank you for the tip on finishing

CStoyer

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 10:18:13 PM »
How about the 1968 Ford F100 pickup seats. Its the only vehicle I can think of that wouldn't need access to the backseat. The bucket seat option was available in a pickup in 1968. The Bronco used the same style seat but had levers at the bottom of the seat. The Ranchero used a different designed seat and also had levers up high. The pickup is the only vehicle that I know of that didn't have levers.
Perhaps 68-up  E series vans too?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline cstoyer

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 10:58:19 PM »
So a little update.  They are 68 seat frames based on the hinge points, style, latch locations, though they did not have a latch and the missing head rest mounts.  Plus the P/N molded into the crash pad on the seat back puts in the time frame of 68,69 low backs C8ZB6564802.  I had a chance to review some other seat frames and as K-HESS suggested they may be from an F-100 and I believe they are from an F-series truck, and they are either from 100-250 or 350 as the bigger trucks had a different bucket all together.  I'm saying this because of the seat tracks not the foam or the frames.  I noticed the mounting studs on the seat tracks are way to short to be from a mustang and the F-Series had unique seat tracks with short mounting studs to work with the metal risers bolted to the cab floor.  This bucket seat was only used in a truck that had the the Ranger package selected when built and bucket seats selected as an option.  As for the seat there was not need for a latch that is because one, the seat would not go back any further than the tank in the cab and two the seat mounts that bolted to the floor held the seat in a slightly reclined position keeping it from falling forward.  The big one though is no one was behind you to impact the rear of your seat in an accident causing you hit the steering wheel or fall out of the seat.  Hence no latch needed.

Anyway fast forward to today I have soaked the frames in White vinegar and salt for a few days to strip them of all the rust and sprayed them with Rust Bullet for a metal prep and prevent flash rusting.  Turned out really good and everything now is painted with new burlap, edge wrap, original paper wrapped listing wires on the seat frame and TMI premium foam seat buns and back with molded listing wires are attached  That is where my next question is.  I am installing the Comfortweave seat covers from TMI and the bottoms turned out great but I'm not crazy about how the replacement crash pad from TMI looks compared to the shape of the original.  Anyone use this the one from TMI or did you just reuse the original crash pad and edge foam?  The original edge foam in not reproduced that I know of.  Oh, I did source the latch mechanism for the frames so they will work as needed.

CStoyer