Author Topic: 'white upholstry renew or clean  (Read 795 times)

Offline 67foxgt390

• Long time Mustanger
'white upholstry renew or clean
« on: September 26, 2021, 04:54:57 PM »
   Hello Every one!! My question is; I have a 73 convertible with the white top and white and black deluxe interior. First the top is dingy but original in decent shape for its age. The white seats are also original but age and what ever has them in about three different shade of dingy white. Does any one have any products or techniques I can use to I guess brighten them up to look more presentable? I would really like to save as much original stuff as possible. My car is not concourse (I don't have that kind of dough) but want to save as much as I can. Thank You!!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 'white upholstry renew or clean
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 05:31:46 PM »
You can clean them if the material is not damaged but you cant' clean away the discoloration from the exposure. You may have to clean then, prep them and spray a light coat of coloring to return them it at least a consistence look assuming that your not going to use the car allot since you can wear through the coating over time

I've used SEMS products in the past. If I recall correctly they sell an adhesion promoter also to help

Going to move this to the interior discussion area of the site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 05:41:15 PM »
   Hello Every one!! My question is; I have a 73 convertible with the white top and white and black deluxe interior. First the top is dingy but original in decent shape for its age. The white seats are also original but age and what ever has them in about three different shade of dingy white. Does any one have any products or techniques I can use to I guess brighten them up to look more presentable? I would really like to save as much original stuff as possible. My car is not concourse (I don't have that kind of dough) but want to save as much as I can. Thank You!!
You will never be able to bring them back to look as good as new but most likely can make them look better. https://www.griotsgarage.com/  is just one company that sells convertible top cleaners . There are many others . Just google convertible top cleaners and you will see.    You can use tire /wheel cleaning products on the vinyl seats  . I would take the seats out of the car and give them a good scrubbing with a stiff plastic bristle brush then hose them off. After wiping them off leave them in the sun to dry the rest of the way . You can clean the door panels and interior trim but best results will be in repainting them. If you attempt to paint the front seats only do the sides and back. Don't waste your time doing the portion on the front and back seats that your body contacts as the paint will rub off every where your body contacts the vinyl.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67foxgt390

• Long time Mustanger
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 08:30:32 PM »
  Thanks every one. I think I will try the top cleaner on all the white stuff.