Author Topic: Sand Cast Aluminum Button Top for Fuel Pump  (Read 884 times)

Offline rnegless

Sand Cast Aluminum Button Top for Fuel Pump
« on: February 28, 2022, 05:11:55 PM »
I was bored so I sand cast a button top for my fuel pump out  of some scrap alluminum. I still have some detailing to do then decide whether or not to JB weld it on there. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 05:16:02 PM by rnegless »
68 San Jose 390 GT 4sp 3:25 Decor 12/29/67

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Sand Cast Aluminum Button Top for Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 05:54:01 PM »
I was bored so I sand cast a button top for my fuel pump out  of some scrap alluminum. I still have some detailing to do then decide whether or not to JB weld it on there.
I would like to help with some comments but I am a little confused. Is that a aluminum cover to replace the original button top piece or is it a cover to go on top of the original button top? 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rnegless

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 06:25:41 PM »
I cast the button part to mount on my non button top carter.  This is my first one and my casting is pretty rough but it fits pretty good.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 08:22:55 PM »
I admire your ingenuity however the button top and the base you made to disguise a non button top pump is too crude for concours entries but if you are happy with how it turned out then that is what counts most. Not that it means much in the context of this post but the fuel pump body is a diecast aluminum and not a sand cast version. The button top is a zinc dichromate gold and the base around it should blend in/match the rest of the cast aluminum body. The body in the case of your donor pump is different in details compared to the body of the button top variety . Keep thinking outside the box. :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rnegless

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 01:43:37 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to give a thoughtful reply.  I've been wanting to give it try and didn't expect my first casting to be the final.  I'm at about 80% and I doubt I will improve it enough to actually use it but I haven't quit yet.

Offline rnegless

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 03:49:02 PM »
casting #2 a little more refined and a better fit. Tried some eastwood carb tint on the button for effect.  close but not quite ver #3 will have the incorporate the casting line up the center
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 04:02:07 PM by rnegless »