Author Topic: 1973 Mach 1 Bright Green Gold Metallic Paintcode 4B Trunk Paint.  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Watz

1973 Mach 1 Bright Green Gold Metallic Paintcode 4B Trunk Paint.

I have a problem with painting the trunk. I have already painted it with the original car color but I am missing the gray effect paint with the speckles which goes over it. I have read that there is something in the spray can (Dupli-Color MPT 100 Trunk Spatter Paint Gray/White for 1971-1972-1973 Ford Mustang) that should fit well but I can't get it in Germany. Dealers from the States won't ship it because paint is a hazardous material. Does anyone have an alternative or even a formula or instructions on how to match the color? Unfortunately I don't have a color sample here to compare with, otherwise I could mix something myself. I have access in my workshop to the manufacturers Glasurit and Sikkens both acrylic paints, waterborne paints and conventional solventborne basecoats but without a good color sample I would have to guess.

Go Baby Go!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1973 Mach 1 Bright Green Gold Metallic Paintcode 4B Trunk Paint.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 10:30:16 PM »
Have you tried Eastwood for overseas shipping?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Watz

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 07:38:02 AM »
Thanks and sorry for moving it to the correct section.

I read that the material of Eastwood is more like the color of GM. ? But I can not verify it because I have no comparison.
I am also not sure if any dealer is interested in sending such a small amount like 6 spray cans or 2 liters of the paint to Germany. If the Eastwood stuff fits well, I'll try it to convince someone ;)
Go Baby Go!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 05:31:43 PM »
Thanks and sorry for moving it to the correct section.

I read that the material of Eastwood is more like the color of GM. ? But I can not verify it because I have no comparison.
I am also not sure if any dealer is interested in sending such a small amount like 6 spray cans or 2 liters of the paint to Germany. If the Eastwood stuff fits well, I'll try it to convince someone ;)

First to get it out of the way all should likely IMHO be top coated with a mat clear to protect the splatter coat

- Looks like Eastwood may have discontinued making their product  Was close enough for my needs in the past and purchased a few extra cans since I realized that they might not make it in the future if I needed to touch up mine. Too often paints get discontinued or become illegal to make/sell in this country
https://www.eastwood.com/paints/trunk-spatter-paints.html

- Looked up some paints and I see #100 described as a Gray/White color. Lighter than I think the originals were just in pictures
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/duplicolor-trunk-spatter-paint-gray-white-11-oz-tsp100/11196122-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=11196122-P&adtype=&product_channel=Online&store_code=&msclkid=0d6cf24bc7fe1f09a5e6902523cb11c5&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=b_shopping_all_paint%2Fchemicals_gen_gen_gen_evergreen_eng_aap_us_all&utm_term=4580840331237099&utm_content=Bing_All_Paint%20%26%20Chemicals_Specialty%20Paint&gclid=0d6cf24bc7fe1f09a5e6902523cb11c5&gclsrc=3p.ds

Duplicolor's site show three different mixes though for me in the pictures none look as dark as the originals but maybe in this case or all of the examples for all of the paints what we see isn't what they look like in person.
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/trunk-paint/

- I see Summit carries a couple of spray can of a different brand that were not recommended nor do they describe their colors

They also carry sprayable products in water base but expensive and in Grey/white and in black/aqua (along with another brand) and as you mentioned more of a GM thing

- Amazon sells the original Zolatone in grey/white Bit on the lighter side again
https://www.amazon.com/Zolatone-Graystone-Quart/dp/B002ALYAM6/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=trunk%2Bsplatter%2Bpaint&qid=1651434591&sr=8-8&th=1

- Krylon makes some "stone" paints that look like they might produce the same look but not sure if they have in the collection the right tones or color combinations. Have used the product on other projects - non car related and way happy with them. The darkest appears to be black granite though it doesn't look that dark and the amount of each does not appear to match the original look

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K18201-Coarse-Texture-Granite/dp/B000C0186S/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=trunk%2Bsplatter%2Bpaint&qid=1651434591&sr=8-14&th=1

Unfortunately given where you are located, its not easy to purchase and experiment to see which would best fit your needs of any would. 

Sorry no great answer or place to get the perfect paint for your needs
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 05:35:46 PM »
Just for comparison and maybe it will help when choosing a tone of paint color combination

What I used and appears is not longer available from Eastwood. Bottom picture is it applied on my 71. Notice the color is labeled black gray

The finished product compared to an unrestored example Though it was the best I could do out of a rattle can or spray without a custom mix

Two unrestored 73 for comparison. How dark each is may be due to lighting and other things. Top one looks similar to the 71s posted above IMHO Hope some of this is useful

Jeff Speegle

Offline Watz

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 01:49:03 AM »
Hello and thank you for your research and the resulting information.
Especially the pictures are very helpful. By the way, it looks very good.
I will then probably continue to ask my German dealers and application engineers and ultimately try to recreate the spray pattern using pictures. Funny is actually that I probably what the coating on the vehicle is much too much effort (At least that's what my friends say). After all, there is no direct comparison in my area. So who wants to grumble if it is different by a nuance? But that probably also has to do with professional honor. You want to do it as well as possible. I'll stay tuned and report on progress.
Thanks again.
Greetings from the old world.

Go Baby Go!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 06:15:57 PM »
Hello and thank you for your research and the resulting information.
Especially the pictures are very helpful. By the way, it looks very good.

Your welcome - that is what the site if for

I will then probably continue to ask my German dealers and application engineers and ultimately try to recreate the spray pattern using pictures. Funny is actually that I probably what the coating on the vehicle is much too much effort (At least that's what my friends say). After all, there is no direct comparison in my area. So who wants to grumble if it is different by a nuance? But that probably also has to do with professional honor. You want to do it as well as possible. I'll stay tuned and report on progress.

Oh but there is always the people at thew shows that have access to the internet so the comparison does not have to be present. Completely understand and respect that like others here you want to do the best job possible and to have the pleasure of knowing you did your best not just enough to get by. Those cars are everywhere and usually you can see that in the finished product

Good luck with the project
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 11:00:05 PM »
For others a source for the Zolatone

https://tcpglobal.com/collections/splatter-finishes
Jeff Speegle

Offline Watz

Go Baby Go!

Offline Watz

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 11:34:12 AM »
Today the material from Dupli Color arrived and I painted a sample sheet. The result is sobering. Unfortunately, the stuff has zero opacity and the nozzle clogs every 15 seconds during painting. Before painting a gray tone would thus be mandatory and the speckles that come out still do not look even remotely similar to the original. Too bad but I have already ordered the next material from another manufacturer. I report further.

Go Baby Go!

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 12:10:11 PM »
I think I could start a paint store with all the "one time -- no, that doesn't work" paint cans.

Don't discount the craft stores. There are a few paints meant to look and feel like "stone flocking".
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Watz

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 06:55:27 AM »
I think I could start a paint store with all the "one time -- no, that doesn't work" paint cans.

Don't discount the craft stores. There are a few paints meant to look and feel like "stone flocking".

Hahaha that's good. I could also open a second business with bad material which was sold as the ultimate best and now ekes out its existence in the back closet that no one wants to open.
I am as a trained vehicle painter not the friend of spray cans but sometimes you have to use them when there is nothing else.

I continue to test and get to the goal! Then !!! I make my second business with good trunk effect paints!!!  harharhar

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Go Baby Go!

Offline Watz

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 03:22:00 AM »
After several sample sheets is now certain:

Belton Special Granite Effect (spray can) has made the race.

Pre-paint a black tone, let dry, within 48 hours with the granite effect paint without intermediate sanding over paint.
1.5-2 spray cans are enough.
Let dry very well (in my case it was 2 days) because this spray gets a high layer thickness due to its structure and because it is a water-based paint which requires longer flash-off times without high air flow, which would only be given in a paint booth.
Then you can finish with 2-component matt clear lacquer.

The picture is before the matte clear coat

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 03:31:07 AM by Watz »
Go Baby Go!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2022, 04:27:17 PM »
Glad to see you found something that will work for you.

For others (and possibly for you) would like to mention that the rear side marker lights would have been in place when the coating was applied so they would have the same product over them and the exposed wiring
Jeff Speegle

Offline Watz

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2022, 01:51:44 AM »
Ok, thanks for the info, I didn't think of that but I can still catch up.
Overpainted turn signals and cables are normally prohibited for a vehicle painter. I just have to rethink and work as "bad" as it was done factory.  ;D
Go Baby Go!