Author Topic: How do you remove paint from interior fastback panels?  (Read 3663 times)

Offline MWM

How do you remove paint from interior fastback panels?
« on: March 17, 2011, 11:25:46 AM »
Hello!  I have a 1965 GT Fastback with black pony interior.  The interior fiberglass panels adjacent to the fold down seat have been painted and now the paint is flaking off.  How do I safely remove the paint without damaging the faux woodgrain?
thank you!
William

Offline mach1one

Re: How do you remove paint from interior fastback panels?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »
paint stripper.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
I found using oven cleaner (lye based) and it worked without attacking the base - a concern I think with some paint stripper

Worked for me
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:08:05 PM »
Standard paint stripper will eat the fiberglass in a heartbeat!  The best thing is Easy Off Oven Cleaner, Heavy Duty.  Check the ingredients, as this is the only brand and style that comes with lye.  Work outdoors; spray on, let it bubble, and then wash off with a hose.  Best applied with temperatures above 70*.  It is absolutely great on fiberglass, chrome, and other metals.  If the paint is really hard to come off, use a stiff bristle brush to help the Easy Off do its thing.

Oh...and wear gloves!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline BuckeyeDemon

• Photobucket Pictures
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:30:34 PM »
i used straight lye and i didn't seem to do much.  i used a bristle brush and scrubbed.  the waste water definitely turned black, but it didn't seem to lift the paint.

is there something else in easy off?

VIN: 9F02M178303
Build Date: March 31, 1969
1969 Mach 1, Candyapple Red, 351W 4V

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:52:18 PM »
i used straight lye and i didn't seem to do much.  i used a bristle brush and scrubbed.  the waste water definitely turned black, but it didn't seem to lift the paint.

is there something else in easy off?

Don't know but it just worked to remove everything except the base material and grain. Lightly scrubbed also (circular pattern) to dislodge paint then recoated and let sit for a while - then flushed and recoated if needed. Would do sections (on the large panels) so that the Easy Off does not dry but remains always wet
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Oz390

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:20:51 AM »
The lye will work, just mix up a batch in a plastic tub/bin big enough to hold the part submerged and let it soak for an hour or so.  A light scrub should remove all the paint, I used an old toothbrush, if not soak a bit more. 

Just did 3 sets of OEM dash parts off my '68's this way and all came up perfectly clean with very little effort, just a bit of time...
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
I use a lacquer thinner bath. Using a spray gun I spray on a wet coat of thinner and then go over it with a stiff plastic brush to loosen and remove large particles the brush also reachs into the grain. then rinse with more lacquer to see what you got. The lacquer lefts the paint without effecting the fiberglass. Do it as many times as it takes . The more coats of paint it has the more baths . rub a dub dub. You must be in a large well ventilated shop or outside. Just the way i do it .Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:13:28 PM »
With EasyOff, time is your friend.   I've sprayed it on, put the piece in a large garbage bag, and let it sit overnight.    It still required several applications but working it quickly after applying didn't really work for me.

Greg Z
Greg Z