Author Topic: Seam sealer recommendations  (Read 2239 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Seam sealer recommendations
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »
Looking to add the seam sealer on joints in the interior and the trunk. I see many retored cars leaving this messy asphalt based goop off. Since its never seen below the carpeting would you recommend leaving it off or should it go back. I found a asphalt based roofing cement in large tubes and thought it would be pretty close. But I heard it could take months for it to cure. What is recommended? I figure it could be applied in a bakers bag with a wide fitting (used to work in a bakery when I was a kid). I know it will look messy in the trunk but it will look original. Car is painted so I will have to overspray it lightly with an airbrush.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Seam sealer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »
I would recommend a couple of different products

First for the interior - since it will not be seen -  I can't see going back with the messy stuff but instead use a modern elastomeric (s?)   - flexible sealer for all the spots that the factory did. Will be easy - apply with a chalking gun and spread it with a shortened b paint brush or a puddy knife

As for the trunk - since its going to be seen we need something that will look similar or the same as original. So the first question (sorry) is where and when was the car built?  Since the products, pattern and finish was different
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
I like the wurth spray seam sealer product, comes in black. Once you've mastered the spray gun's operation, the results are very convincing. The product has alot of body and cures in less than 24 hrs. 

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 01:57:57 AM »
To answer the particulars question it is a 68 built in dearorn July of 68. I already did the seams with  modern seam sealer prior to paint. Yes the car is painted and getting ready for final assembly. Maybe no reason to do the interior with the tar based product but thought I'd do it for authenticity. Now the trunk is seen and that's where I would really want it to look the part. However spraying at this time would be risky. Lights, wiring, gas tank etc are in. Any thoughts?