Author Topic: WTB: Black/silver Autolite voltage regulator  (Read 497 times)

Offline 21.04

WTB: Black/silver Autolite voltage regulator
« on: July 05, 2022, 12:04:34 AM »
Looking for NOS C5AF-10316-A voltage regulator.  Black with silver Autolite.  Will take just top cover if that is all you may have. 

-Matt
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 11:01:07 AM by 21.04 »
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: WTB: Black/silver Autolite voltage regulator
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 01:23:27 AM »
Looking for NOS C5TF-10316-A voltage regulator.  Black with silver Autolite.  Will take just op cover if that is all you may have. 

-Matt
What is the application? Is this for a GT350 ,289 with A/C, etc. Not to many used the C5TF  which by the way is yellow.  The C5AF was the silver . The amp output of the alternator determined which of the two different regulators a car would get on the assemblyline. Also the C5TF was the only one Ford serviced over the counter up until 1968 production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 21.04

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 05:55:56 AM »
Thanks for catching my error.  I believe I would need the C5AF black/silver piece.  It's for a 7/1/66 SJ built HP GT Conv. With power top.

-Matt

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 10:01:06 AM »
Thanks for catching my error.  I believe I would need the C5AF black/silver piece.  It's for a 7/1/66 SJ built HP GT Conv. With power top.

-Matt
If it got the 42 amp alternator with orange stamp it would typically get the C5AF if it had the 55 amp alternator with red stamp it typically got the C5TF .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 10:08:47 AM »
Looking] for NOS C5TF-10316-A voltage regulator.  Black with silver Autolite.  Will take just op cover if that is all you may have. 

-Matt

-Matt
Once you determine what you actually need do not forget to change your first wanted post so that it will be effective.

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 10:26:11 AM »
Please be aware that you can't use an original regulator with a rebuilt or AMK etc. Alternator. The normal output from AMK etc.
is 60 Amps and the regulator is built for 38 or 42 Amps. Guess how I know? Burnt a couple of regulators. I suggest you buy an electronic regulator and put an original cover on it. Have used that set up for many years on my 65.
Texas Swede
P.S. forgot to say that the repo regulators from AMK etc. are built like the originals and can't be used with the AMK, Dead Nut On etc alternators.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:40:25 AM by Texas Swede »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 08:56:09 PM »
Please be aware that you can't use an original regulator with a rebuilt or AMK etc. Alternator. The normal output from AMK etc.
is 60 Amps and the regulator is built for 38 or 42 Amps. Guess how I know? Burnt a couple of regulators. I suggest you buy an electronic regulator and put an original cover on it. Have used that set up for many years on my 65.

Haven't looked for a while but doesn't the electronic use a base that is shaped differently that the original?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 11:04:49 PM »
Haven't looked for a while but doesn't the electronic use a base that is shaped differently that the original?
Yes base is different It is a slightly more involved process to put a solid state regulator into a vintage style base . It can be done just not real easy.

Offline 21.04

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 11:39:08 PM »
Are you indicating that the repro bases from AMK cannot be used with a C5AF top?  Does C5TF reg use same base as C5AF version or are those different as well?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 11:46:15 PM »
Are you indicating that the repro bases from AMK cannot be used with a C5AF top?  Does C5TF reg use same base as C5AF version or are those different as well?
I was addressing the Jeff Speegle post about typical electronic solid regulators and not the repro of the vintage mechanical regulator.  Yes you can switch around covers on the AMK regulators.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 11:28:50 AM »
I just did this. Got the top only from AMK. Installed it on a new Standard Products P/N VR166 regulator using the split rivets that came with the top. No issues, took a couple minutes. Regulates at 14.7 volts. The base has a clear plastic thing above the plug but it's not a problem.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 11:39:20 AM »
I just did this. Got the top only from AMK. Installed it on a new Standard Products P/N VR166 regulator using the split rivets that came with the top. No issues, took a couple minutes. Regulates at 14.7 volts. The base has a clear plastic thing above the plug but it's not a problem.
The base on your Standard Products is typical of modern regulators in that there is a cut out in the base for the plug instead of the assemblyline factory type which has a oblong opening in the base for the plug. Compare the pictures of the base so that you can understand better.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 11:49:05 AM »
The base on your Standard Products is typical of modern regulators in that there is a cut out in the base for the plug instead of the assemblyline factory type which has a oblong opening in the base for the plug. Compare the pictures of the base so that you can understand better.
As I said in reply #7 the solid state components can be changed over to a correct base if needed but it is more involved then just switching covers.