Author Topic: Mach I seat material  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
Mach I seat material
« on: August 09, 2022, 11:07:48 PM »
Hi all,

Has anyone ordered seat fabric for the 69/70 Mach I seats from SMS Auto Fabrics?  I got a sample of the comfort weave and the vinyl for the outer part of the seats but it's hard to tell if it's truly correct with such a small sample.  I don't want it to look like some of the aftermarket seat covers.  An exact material as original is what I'm looking for.  Any information would be great!

Dave
9R02R107xxx

Offline Scode67FB

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Re: Mach I seat material
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 08:16:17 AM »
There's an easy way to identify genuine comfortweave material: hold it up to the light and see if light shines through the gaps in the "weave". If light shines through, it's woven. If it doesn't, it isn't.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 09:09:41 AM »
There's an easy way to identify genuine comfortweave material: hold it up to the light and see if light shines through the gaps in the "weave". If light shines through, it's woven. If it doesn't, it isn't.
Or try to blow through it is another simple test.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 05:17:24 PM »
Here is a close up of the original material. You can make out the "breathing" holes inside the weave pattern

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Daven

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 11:12:04 PM »
Thanks all!  It does have holes in it, so it's breathable.  Now I just have to figure out how much material to order. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 11:31:21 PM »
Thanks all!  It does have holes in it, so it's breathable.  Now I just have to figure out how much material to order.
Most likely 4 yards for high back buckets and rear but verify with your upholstery person.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Daven

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 11:33:49 PM »
I put the pic of my sample on the old post.  Sorry, here is the pic on this post.

Offline Daven

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 07:45:03 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the SMS samples compared to the original material.  The comfort weave is very close.  The stitching is slightly different.  I think i'd be satisfied.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 05:24:30 PM »
Thanks for posting
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline keeper

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 02:15:38 AM »
Daven,
Were you ever able to get your seats done and if so how much yardage of the CW and the plain vinyl did you end up ordering  and or using for the front and back seats ? How about the welt? Were you able to get the correct sizes and was your seat maker good with it? I ordered 3 yds of cw and 5 yds of vinyl and 3 different sizes of welt before my seat maker said his machine was not able to stitch in the welt SMS sent me. It has truly been an excersise in futility to get my seats made and still in waiting. I think I might pray harder. Any help with my questions is greatly appreciated. BTW I know what not to do if any one wants to know. LoL
Keith 69 Mach1TopLoader/Vcode SJ

Offline Daven

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 01:53:13 PM »
Keeper,

I have not ordered any material from them yet.  I'm hoping that someone will make the seat covers with the proper material at some point.  I would gladly pay good money for the proper look. 

Daven

Offline keeper

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 03:59:02 PM »
I thought you were going to have them made with the material they exclusively have. Don't hold your breath for SMS to make seat covers any time soon. Lol. It is nearly impossible to get the material much less the material made into seat covering. TMI has some very nice reproduction seats IMHO. I will let you know how it works out for the ones I am still waiting on.

Offline Daven

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 05:19:42 PM »
I have been dragging my feet on the whole process.  I'll just at least get the materials ordered.  I'll ask how much material it is going to take at a seat upholster shop.

Offline keeper

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 02:04:00 AM »
I ordered 3 yds of cw and 5 yds of vinyl and that came from the SMS's recommendation. Plus the welt in various sizes. My seat maker really was leary about making "custom seats" and ultimately blamed the welt for being too short.He backed out ...   Sms told me they could make them to start with but stupid me said no thanks. I had to go back to SMS and they agreed to do the seats, sent me return shipping label and 1 1/2 years later they finally informed me (after a once a month or two nagging) that their seat guy had left and had taken the seat cut out patterns for the 69 Mach1 with him along with many other seat patterns apparently. Of course to be fair, this was early 2020 and the Covid fun was just beginning. So as I speak today, my material is sitting in the waiting room at a very solid seat maker awaiting the approval of quality control dept. and then on to production who does have the correct patterns for the 69 hi back bucket seats to be produced using SMS material.
If they ever get done you will be at the top of my list to share photos with. Prayers are always welcome :D