Author Topic: Door hinges - San Jose Jan 23 1967 build  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Texascobra

Re: Door hinges - San Jose Jan 23 1967 build
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2022, 12:57:22 AM »
Thanks all, very helpful!!
65 427SC 4123
67 GT500 752 1/23/67
96 Cobra American Iron Racer
12 GT500 Daily Driver

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Door hinges
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2022, 08:34:17 AM »

I'm aware of no difference nor have seen any between the primer color nor the sound deadener application between the three plants that could be used to determined what plant the a car was built and the variations of original cars documented from each. So would not use that as a solid determining factor

Just saying  ;)
Being aware that this is off topic, I will say that "lacking sound deadener of any amount" (on the bottoms of the flat area of the fenders) is usually a San Jose trait. It seems you have stated so in other threads. The somewhat salmon colored primer I found seemed consistent from side to side (with each cars date stamping of the metal being roughly 6-weeks apart).

Back to the upper hinge detail. The 2nd set of spare doors I have with the stamped upper hinge, is indeed a San Jose mid-December projected build date. Oddly enough, the other door that I have used since 1978 on my car, has close to the same dates on it and it had both upper and lower cast hinges. I can get dates easily enough off of the extra doors but I am not pulling the door panel to check the one in use (the replacement from 1978) and I don't remember taking picture evidence during the restoration. Mid to Later December stamp dates on the doors may be of assistance to the O.P. in determining whether or not to use both cast hinges or a mixture IMHO.

On edit, adding pictures and it looks like 17M date on the Data tag for the spare doors
12 5 D 3 found on the "1978 replacement fender" while on original LH fender was 10 18 3B is stamped, which is roughly 1/2 a month before my actual build date.

These findings combined with other Marti Reports and other Late December cars might help the O.P.

It's not easy with back and forth usages of both types of upper hinges.

FWIW. I found two variations of the Cast Lower hinges too! ...like two different suppliers. This was discussed in another thread too but it may add to Jeff's comment about my 1978 donor car NOT necessarily being a San Jose car...the plot thickens!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 10:56:09 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

Re: Door hinges - San Jose Jan 23 1967 build
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2022, 09:35:00 AM »
Our 67 GTA convertible was San Jose built 11-04-66 has both upper and lower cast hinges.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2022, 03:34:57 PM »
Thanks helps allot

Wouldn't you know that it would turn out that Jan 1967 appears to be the change over period for the earlier cast to later stamped upper hinge.  Looking at the cars I have pictures of where the cars are unrestored and the paint on the upper hinge matches the body color I found the following

Since I have two cars in the early March time period (the Shelby can be verified to be original) that have top cast hinges is Jan 67 a good date?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2022, 05:40:55 PM »
Since I have two cars in the early March time period (the Shelby can be verified to be original) that have top cast hinges is Jan 67 a good date?

A "good" date?

Standard practice by us has been not to base change over dates or other details on a single source. If we had three (target/standard has three min) independently then IMHO we have something "good"

Guess I should update my spread sheet for this detail and post what I have as I might have one more to add to the findings. Do you have the exact completion dates for both? You can PM or share them here if you would like. I might already have one of those in my records
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)