Author Topic: 67 Shelby -- as it came into the dealership  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
67 Shelby -- as it came into the dealership
« on: October 21, 2022, 12:01:58 PM »
This thread:
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=27444.0
started me down the road of thinking what a 67 Shelby would look like prior the dealer getting it ready for a customer. Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) would remove certain items put into the car for protection from factory workers driving the car to staging; driving the car onto a delivery trailer; loading the vehicle onto a train, etc.

In the referenced thread Bob G. mentions seat covering, belt covering, no holes in fender for antenna and the hubcaps (if any) in the trunk. Perhaps mag wheels has the center caps in the trunk too?

Here I'll spell out the above items as a start point so we can create an itemized list. Almost everything I do is spreadsheet based -- it's just the way I work.

-- Antenna in trunk (in paper bag marked C7ZA)
-- Wheel covers in trunk (in boxes, I gather)
-- Wheel caps in trunk if 10 spoke or Magstar)
-- Seat plastic (what type -- separate plastic upper and lower?)
-- Plastic on belts (just the loose inners?)
-- Plastic on steering wheel
-- Paper labels left on windows (line number, window price sheet)
    'Move car' label
-- Labels on radiator, battery or elsewhere?
-- Key envelope (ECS)
-- Move car tag

edit some items.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 11:28:37 AM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Shelby -- as it came into the dealership
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 04:23:09 PM »
Believe that the antenna was in a bag rather than the over the counter/NOS packaging

Going to be difficult to nail down all the little details as we would here in a typical discussion due to the lack of documentation about specifically 67 Shelby delivery. May have to lean to what we can find or document on other cars (Mustangs and such) that were purchased in other years and taken by the owners without dealer prep. Often these were cars the owners expected to be "collectable" such as 73's. Unfortunately many of those examples will be from the other two plants (Dearborn and Metuchen)

We'll see where this leads us.

PS - Did check the pre-delivery check list and it does not list things to be done related to what we're discussing here  :(

And finally - just for heck of it, here is a video of dealer prep on arriving modern Shelby at a dealership

https://www.motor1.com/news/448032/106k-shelby-gt500-pdi/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 04:48:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 07:54:08 PM »
I was working in a dealership in the middle 70s and surprisingly one of the things we did was run the valves. This was a foreign car dealership where we did Volvos, Datsuns and other strange things.
Since I only dealt with mechanical things I had no idea what the clean up crew did.

The problem with using the Mustang version is that who knows what they left in place at SAI?

But it would be a start.

Oh, was the antenna bag plastic? Writing on it?

Is the guy in that video 12 years old? ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 07:59:18 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 01:11:47 AM »
Paper bag from other years and plants from the examples I've got and have seen.

We've got two paths I believe and will address the 67 Shelby part since we're here and will start a more general thread on classic Mustang details related to dealer prep. Think this is best and a bit more organized.

Started selecting pictures and formating them last night in preparation for this ;)

So we have possibly things that were applied or done at San Jose that Shelby just left alone since they didn't need to disturb them then we might have things that Shelby did to prepare the cars for shipment and protection during that period after they did their modifications. I was asked to do a similar deep dive into 65's when he was doing 003 and we turned up some of the San Jose inspector stickers that would have made their way on the car until it reached the dealership and were removed during dealer prep

From what I found there is some inconsistencies (surprise :) but this could be due, as usual, on the different shift and guy assigned to placing these things  and us not having pictures of allot of examples.

Started a list of items in the thread below. The reason for allot of these choices is based on the fact that these cars were often transported in open rail cars inviting thief and vandalism during their trip

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=27463.new#new

One thing that stood out was that only some pictures show cars having wipers and arms installed and if they were installed they didn't have any bag or sleeve over them. Wonder if for some reason they were not installed at San Jose but instead in the trunk and the guys that installed them stripped off and tossed the protective bags. Notice in the picture below , in the upper left we have one car with wipers, one with  only one wiper and it's "parked" in an usual position while in the lower right we have a car has no wipers or arms. Maybe just a "bad hair day" for the missed parked one but no bags/sleeves to be seen. For this discussion I would guess that for consistency the wipers were likely installed before the car was shipped to the dealerships though that does invite thief and vandalism. I would point out that none of the picture are "fresh off the boat" but have started the Shelby process since VINs have been assigned and other paperwork tossed in the car or attached in some cases

Famous/familiar picture (closeup) for many of us for car #231

There is also a red hang tag seen of a fair number of cars as they arrived at Shelby. Depending on where they were attached IMHO there is a great chance that they were the warning to move the vehicles very so many days (think is was 21 but don't quote me) . On cars where they are not visible its possible that they were hung on the turn indicator rod on another shift at the plant. Cars with visible red hang tags are highlighted

And finally for this reply, what is reported to have been the arrival of a 67 San Jose Fastback to Shelby in 1966. Notice no dealer prep (antenna, hubcaps) Wipers in place but no bags/sleeves. Window sticker (Ford not Shelby's) and one small inspector sticker on vent window. Typically there are three such stickers - locations differ depending on shift and inspectors from my research. Must be noted that this car was not built under a Shelby DSO so it had items on it (such as trunk lid, grill, GT package, headlight buckets....) like a "normal" Shelby 

Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 01:26:08 AM »
Paper sleeve for the antenna would usually have the engineering number ink-stamped on the outer sleeve.  There was a slight design change between 65-66 and 67-68, so the '67-up style would be like a C7ZA, or something like that (not C7ZZ like the service part).  I think I have one of these somewhere.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 01:46:07 AM »
Paper sleeve for the antenna would usually have the engineering number ink-stamped on the outer sleeve.  There was a slight design change between 65-66 and 67-68, so the '67-up style would be like a C7ZA, or something like that (not C7ZZ like the service part).  I think I have one of these somewhere.

Remind me if you would. Is this the same bag we find the antennas in when they come in the box with the complete radio kit?
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 12:43:05 PM »
Remind me if you would. Is this the same bag we find the antennas in when they come in the box with the complete radio kit?

Possibly, but I don't recall definitively... maybe someone that has an NOS radio kit can check.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 02:16:56 PM »

Possibly, but I don't recall definitively... maybe someone that has an NOS radio kit can check.

Guess I'll drag one out and take a picture or two or double check to see if I've already done that just thought you might recall

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 05:45:57 PM »
Jeff and Charles.

the 65/66 brown bag the antenna was stored in had a C4ZA- engineering stamp from memory.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2023, 11:06:36 PM »
I found a pic of the Tasca Bargain Lot and had my wife run it through an enhancement program.

I'll do each area one at a time.

Here is a closeup of the passenger side windows showing what looks like a Shelby window sticker and a round sticker on the vent.

What does this vent sticker actually look like?
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 12:01:59 AM »
I found a pic of the Tasca Bargain Lot and had my wife run it through an enhancement program.

I'll do each area one at a time.

Here is a closeup of the passenger side windows showing what looks like a Shelby window sticker and a round sticker on the vent.

What does this vent sticker actually look like?

Was this a Mustang or Shelby?  Is there are larger picture that shows what kind of car it is?

Just asking because the vent sticker does not look like the ones I've seen, typically removed during dealer prep, from San Jose. But instead similar to those used at one of the other two Mustang plants given its size and shape.

It's also interesting that the window sticker is very long in comparison to the other window stickers I have copies/pictures of  plus the one on the San Jose built Mustang fastback above with the smaller (what I've seen before) vent window sticker.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 12:06:03 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 11:49:15 AM »
Sorry, I thought the "Tasca Bargain Lot" pic was rather famous. Maybe it's how I described it.
Here it is:

I enhanced the original, larger pic and zoomed in on the Shelby above the bike with all the dust graffiti.
I see a similar sticker on the car on the other side of the bike with a sticker.
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2023, 12:31:40 PM »
Sorry, I thought the "Tasca Bargain Lot" pic was rather famous. Maybe it's how I described it.

Thanks for the clarification. Always good to check since new pictures pop up from time to time and different people refer to pictures under different titles if they are used at all.

SO all San Jose Shelbys in this one

Have not seen the round decal use at the plant that I can recall in 67. Looking at the three examples with the passenger vent windows I see one car with a round and smaller square sticker. one (the one that you enlarged with a single round sticker, and a third with what appears to be two square stickers.

Don't have any reference to what might have been on the round stickers and would not want to assume or take a details from later cars built at other plants like those that have been reproduced. The small square ones re possibly the same as we have seen on earlier San Jose cars and I've reproduced them for some restorations of those cars
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2023, 11:24:41 PM »
From that same larger picture is this zoom in of the squares on the vents.

It almost looks like the squares are on the outside and the circle on the inside.
The Shelby is an automatic.
Bill

Offline warwick

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2023, 06:56:09 PM »
Not that famous....on the right dates the interesting stuff was on the other side. That lot was used when a load of Shelby's came in, they were parked prior to being prepped. After being prepped a number were moved up typically on the front side of the dealership. That side of the dealership was below the grade of the rest of the dealership - the entrance to the Body Shop was on that level. As I recall Tasca assembled some early Cobra's there.