Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

Flex Plate issues - 67 289 C4

(1/5) > >>

Tiny:
Hi all I have a 1967 289 fitted with a C4 Auto.  I have vibration issues consistent with issues where the imbalance weight of the Flex Plate is incorrect.  For starters can someone tell me which weight is attached to the Flex plate in the attached images.  Is it 28 or 50 ounce? (Note the stamped numbers on the plate might help 3320071)

The information I have researched online is very inconsistent.

thanks

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Tiny on January 16, 2023, 12:28:05 AM ---Hi all I have a 1967 289 fitted with a C4 Auto.  I have vibration issues consistent with issues where the imbalance weight of the Flex Plate is incorrect.  For starters can someone tell me which weight is attached to the Flex plate in the attached images.  Is it 28 or 50 ounce? (Note the stamped numbers on the plate might help 3320071)

The information I have researched online is very inconsistent.

thanks

--- End quote ---
What is the back ground of these issues? The vibration start recently or has it been a long time problem? . Did you change flexplates for some reason?etc.

Tiny:
I bought the car without driving it as it needed restoring. I completely overhauled the motor and C4 and replaced the Flex plate.  From day 1 when I got it on the road it has this vibration noise when I accelerate harshly.  Its not there at idle or any other revs but it occurs only under load.  I have exchanged distributors, carby's, starter motors and altered timing many times but it wont go away.  Through my research my last resort it appears that it could be the wrong flex Plate.  The image you saw was the flex plate that came off the car when I bought it.  I have attached another image of the Flex Plate and weight that is currently on the car.  Hope this may help.
Is the flex plate on the car correct.  Its too hard to tell if it is a 28 or 50 ounce.

thanks

Bob Gaines:
Some more questions.Why did you replace the flex plate?Yes there is a radical difference in the pictures of how the two are weighted.

Tiny:
I replaced the Flex Plate because some of the teeth were worn so I thought it better to install a new one.  You mentioned some radical differences?  What are your thoughts

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version