Author Topic: 69 Sail Panel  (Read 1107 times)

Offline orlandod

69 Sail Panel
« on: January 21, 2023, 12:21:00 PM »
I just purchased a set of sail panels for my 69 Mach 1 from NPD. They are a Distinctive Industries product and while I am a little disappointed about some of the vinyl lifting on the back they are not too bad. My question is... what is the gold vinyl strap used for and the cardboard square has come unglued.
1969 Mach 1
San Jose
351W-4V
Built 03/24/69
3.00/FMX

Offline tobkob

Re: 69 Sail Panel
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 09:09:58 PM »
Good luck...After several times removing my sail panels and regluing the vinyl I restored my originals. I don't know if you have the originals but they weren't vinyl but a thin moon crater paper covering.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 12:59:24 AM »
That cardboard square is used to secure the sail panel to the clip, which attaches it to the body frame. The vinyl is just so you can maneuver the square in place to the clip (as access gets tricky when installing them) and gets discarded afterwards. As you can see, the gluing is pretty poor and I was recommended to re-glue everything to stop it sagging and moving in place. The cardboard piece hold some force and is key to keep it looking good, so pay extra attention to gluing and keeping it in place.

I found the color of my panels to be off compared to the headliner and took the time to replace the vinyl to a closer look at the same time.
Brad

Offline Fisheroujr

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 04:15:13 PM »
I strongly suggest returning them and buying TMI Products Sail Panels, they are a much better product and the  squares are securely mounted and hold the mounting clip (not included) perfectly and it, plus the predrilled front hole for the upholstery screw, is also placed dead-on in alignment. My only concern was their sail panels don?t have a metal ring for the Courtesy Light. Needless worry, the Courtesy Light snaps in and out easily with the proper amount of friction to keep it securely in place. The cover is securely glued no having to reglue or fix staples. The brand you received I have laying on a shelf and will probably trash them as that is where they belong.
Fisheroujr
1969 Mach 1 SCJ Ram Air 3.91 PS PB AT
9T02R211961 6/19/1969