Author Topic: 1967 GT500 Transmission insulator  (Read 1566 times)

Offline motor head 428

1967 GT500 Transmission insulator
« on: March 03, 2023, 11:17:47 AM »
What would be the correct transmission insulator for a 12/1/66 4 speed GT500? I would assume that it would be an engineering number.  Does the curved or bump in the insulator go toward the front or rear ? Would the crossmember to frame bolts go in from the front or rear ? Thank You Rick

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 GT500 Transmission insulator
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 12:55:54 PM »
What would be the correct transmission insulator for a 12/1/66 4 speed GT500? I would assume that it would be an engineering number.  Does the curved or bump in the insulator go toward the front or rear ? Would the crossmember to frame bolts go in from the front or rear ? Thank You Rick
Rick there is specific insulator for big block . It doesn't have the bump. You need to buy a copy of the 67 Mustang assembly line manuals . They show how the car is put together. The volume that deals with chassis will have an illustration showing which way the bolts go. Maybe others will go ahead and give you the short cut answer but it is in your best interest to get the ability to answer this question as well as many others since your are concerned about the right way and the wrong way. The books are available from all major Mustang parts vendors . This is not to be confused with the shop manual which shows how to fix items. You also need to get the shop manual too.😉
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 10:20:18 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 06:13:44 PM »
Rick this is one place where I would not place faith in the assembly manual showing how workers at different plants could or did install parts. In you example the long transmission brace to the floor retaining bolts. Too many examples where workers and plants had the option to choose what they needed to do to speed cars through the process. One other easy example would be the direction of the spring covers in the front wheel wells to the shock towers. ;)

Will find and post some pictures to illustrate what San Jose workers were doing that year around the time your car was being built 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 08:02:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 08:00:48 PM »
Looked through the collection focusing on unrestored examples and ones that showed no sign of having the transmission removed before the picture was taken.

Found that they, the long bolts used to secure the transmission mount to the body bracket were installed from the rear of the car with the nut on the forward end as shown in the five pictures I choose of the ones I collected. Hope this helps Shelby and San Jose Mustang owners

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 10:02:20 PM »
390/428tans mount regardless of if auto or 4 speed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 10:14:54 PM »
C7ZA- 6068- ? I am not sure of the last digit because my sample part has the last letter indistinguishable. The most important part is the highly visible distinct shape which is easy to distinguish from the common replacement which has the bump. The next important part is the C7ZA engineering number which is hard if not impossible to read once installed. There is a C8(68),C9(69), and a DOOA (70) marked version also . They look identical but with different numbers. As hard as these mounts are to find look for and get the shape first and worry about the number later IMO. The common smallblock replacement with the bump superseded the big block version sometime in the 70's I think . The smallblock version was used as a replacement for all applications from that time forward.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 10:32:18 PM »
Rick this is one place where I would not place faith in the assembly manual showing how workers at different plants could or did install parts. In you example the long transmission brace to the floor retaining bolts. Too many examples where workers and plants had the option to choose what they needed to do to speed cars through the process. One other easy example would be the direction of the spring covers in the front wheel wells to the shock towers. ;)

Will find and post some pictures to illustrate what San Jose workers were doing that year around the time your car was being built
I agree in concept that best to be used in conjunction for most accurate results as Jeff well knows. Although the assemblyline manuals are not infallible we should not diminish the fact that they are correct dramatically more often with illustrations ,numbers and finish's then not correct. They should be considered a guiding light especially to someone who is just beginning IMO. Without something like them the aspects of Mustang assembly could be overwhelming and cause the loss of enthusiasm for someone not familiar. With that said I am now stepping down from the soap box. ;D

Offline preaction

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 12:07:56 AM »
The insulator I have has C7ZA-6068-B on one end with FoMoCo in a box on the bottom.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 01:57:52 AM »
The insulator I have has C7ZA-6068-B on one end with FoMoCo in a box on the bottom.
Thank you for completing the sequence.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 02:39:24 PM »
Just to make clear I was in no way suggesting that the Assembly Manuals were of no use or were always mistaken or different from how the car was originally assembled. As posted in many other threads they are a great place to start and provide allot of other details that can be of great help. But they are a collection of individual pages collected and assembled from a number of manuals printed at different times of the year and could not reflect, especially in 67, all the running changes and how the individual plants and workers choose to do some operations. The best outcome IMO is when the assembly manuals agree with how cars were built at the same time, same plant and in turn support each other in that way.  :)

The Assembly Manuals are a great purchase for anyone interested in these cars and are the source of allot of discussions and discoveries. Glad Jim took the time and effort to rescue the originals he could get access to to provide us with at least what we have available today.

Now back to the subject at hand and building some great cars.  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline motor head 428

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 06:33:47 PM »
Thank You for the replies. I found the original in a my stash of parts covered in road dirt and oil. I will try to post a picture. I do have the assembly books but missed it the first time thru. The number on mine is C6Z 6066-F I think, It has burnt red paint on it. Does the Paint go to the front or rear or make no difference ? Thank You Rick

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 06:57:31 PM »
Thank You for the replies. I found the original in a my stash of parts covered in road dirt and oil. I will try to post a picture. I do have the assembly books but missed it the first time thru. The number on mine is C6Z 6066-F I think, It has burnt red paint on it. Does the Paint go to the front or rear or make no difference ? Thank You Rick
I have seen the color faced towards the back most often on the cars that I have inspected.  Others may have seen different.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 07:33:46 PM »
I have seen the color faced towards the back most often on the cars that I have inspected.  Others may have seen different.

+1 All of the originals I've seen and have pictures of had the marking showing from the rear looking forward.
Jeff Speegle