Author Topic: Magstar lug nuts  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Texascobra

Magstar lug nuts
« on: March 21, 2023, 12:21:23 PM »
I am thinking about getting my lug nuts re-chromed. I have 2 sets of non-original lug nuts. One has a fairly sharp point and the other a much more soft point on the end. Both fit the wheels well. Which would be closer to original?
65 427SC 4123
67 GT500 752 1/23/67
96 Cobra American Iron Racer
12 GT500 Daily Driver

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Magstar lug nuts
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 12:59:05 PM »
I am thinking about getting my lug nuts re-chromed. I have 2 sets of non-original lug nuts. One has a fairly sharp point and the other a much more soft point on the end. Both fit the wheels well. Which would be closer to original?
The ones that came on the cars from the factory assemblyline had a fairly sharp point . Some service replacements and the reproductions typically are the rounded ends. All of the lugnuts should match each other so do not mix rounded with pointed. Rechroming lugnuts is most likely going to expensive. If you have a complete set of the fairly pointed lugnuts I think it is worth the effort to restore them. The rounded ones are the same as the available repros so no need to go to that extra effort. A word of caution is to discuss the fairly pointed detail you are trying to save with your chromer. It is typical that things that have sharp edges are points get rounded off during the polishing process prior to chroming. This nueance assemblyline detail is one worth noting.Thank you for asking.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Texascobra

Re: Magstar lug nuts
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 11:53:59 AM »
Very good. Thank you!
65 427SC 4123
67 GT500 752 1/23/67
96 Cobra American Iron Racer
12 GT500 Daily Driver