Author Topic: 1967 tilt away steering  (Read 844 times)

Offline Willy 1

1967 tilt away steering
« on: May 25, 2023, 07:20:32 PM »
Hi I am trying to get this working on my car and seem to be having issues. I can't get the tilt away to work, the way I understand it should work is when in park and you turn the key off open the driver door the steering wheel should tilt away. It does not. Here is what I have diagnosed so far.
1 I have vacuum as far as the vacuum release valve.
2 I have power to the vacuum release valve when the door is open
3 If I run vacuum, directly to the vacuum motor it works good holds a vacuum so I don't think there are any issues with it.   
4 Once the tilt away is tripped the car won't start till it is back into the driving position. As it should.
So is the vacuum release valve faulty or is there something that I am missing? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Not sure if I have this under the correct heading

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1967 tilt away steering
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 12:30:01 AM »
I think you are correct in thinking that the vacuum release valve is not opening. You should be able to test it by disconnecting it from the vacuum motor and and checking for vacuum when opening the door.
You do not have to turn off the ignition off for the tilt away to work, but as toy said the wheel must be locked down to start the car.

Offline Willy 1

Re: 1967 tilt away steering
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 01:42:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I actually did try that. I don't seem to be able to get any vacuum past the vacuum release valve. I will take it out and test it more. I have read that they can be taken apart and cleaned up. Might possibly work.