Author Topic: 67 GT500 Assembly Line temperature sender switch ?  (Read 913 times)

Offline Kyle Zammit

67 GT500 Assembly Line temperature sender switch ?
« on: August 21, 2023, 05:55:17 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking for the correct Assembly Line temperature sender switch type of markings and color of insulator ?

The one that I removed from my car is marked AUTOLITE 260 with no date code. It looks like it had white insulator.

Here is a picture of my sender switch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 GT500 Assembly Line temperature sender switch ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 06:11:08 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking for the correct Assembly Line temperature sender switch type of markings and color of insulator ?

The one that I removed from my car is marked AUTOLITE 260 with no date code. It looks like it had white insulator.

Red insulator is typical. The white insulator is a more common replacement from what I have observed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Kyle Zammit

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 06:23:45 PM »
Ok thank you Bob!

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 11:11:36 PM »
Hi all,

The originals are C6DZ 10884-B with the red rubber around the center post. The white rubber unit is for small blocks.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Kyle Zammit

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 01:53:37 AM »

The originals are C6DZ 10884-B with the red rubber around the center post. The white rubber unit is for small blocks.

Thanks Royce.

What is the correct number please?

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 01:01:12 PM »

Thanks Royce.

The originals are C6DZ 10884-B with the red INSULATOR around the center post. I don't think there is another with  the same number that has a different color but the red was the assemblyline appearance from what i have seen.  FYI I have always seen the red insulator regardless of if big block or small block.  At least on all the Shelby's that I have observed which are my main field of interest. I would suspect it is the same for regular Mustang but hesitate to say for sure since those are not my field especially in light of the Mannel pictures. FYI the white insulator will work but makes the gauge read a little less. I think that I remember reading a TSB about using the white insulator sender to make the gauge read a little lower so that drivers are not alarmed by higher readings . I took that as trying to purposely fool a fussy driver.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 04:28:38 PM »
Its the other way around Bob. The ones with the red rubber read lower for a given temperature reading.

The 1969 - 70 version continues to have the red rubber but the center post is #8 instead of #10 on the earlier version. Electrically the later version has the same thermister as the earlier ones. Apparently the original value thermisters are not being made any more. Anything you can buy reads too hot.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 05:08:12 PM »
Attached is a copy of the appropriate page from Ford Car Parts (aka MPC), section 106 page 17, showing the temperature sender in question highlighted in red.
The "correct" number would be what is commonly called the "engineering number" but that number is not readily available. The only current number is the "Ford service stock number" and 'locator code" which are shown above in reply number 3.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2023, 09:12:12 PM »
Its the other way around Bob. The ones with the red rubber read lower for a given temperature reading.

The 1969 - 70 version continues to have the red rubber but the center post is #8 instead of #10 on the earlier version. Electrically the later version has the same thermister as the earlier ones. Apparently the original value thermisters are not being made any more. Anything you can buy reads too hot.
  You may be right but I would like to see some documentation on the white reading higher on a V8 66-68 before being thoroughly convinced. It is not a big deal for me ether way because I don't mess with the white marked sender given all of the engines that are my main focus use the C6DZ-B with red insulator.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 06:28:57 PM »
I have had NOS examples of each and tested them with my digital infra red Snap On heat measuring device. I submerged them in boiling water then measured temperature and resistance. The red ones are even marked with a higher temperature than the white version. Pretty sure I only have the red ones now. I was getting bad units brand new from various auto part stores and needed to find out the right information. Turns out there is nothing on the shelf anywhere that matches the originals.

The part that bothers me (some) is Ford installing temp senders that manipulate the gauge reading. That does not seem right.