Author Topic: Power top cylinder experiances  (Read 2033 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Power top cylinder experiances
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »
Well I'm starting a new thread because maybe I figured out what my power top issues are but, I'm looking for someone to tell me what their experiences have been. The top frame is going down from the up position very nicely. Probably would take 5 seconds. Going up is another story. I have to help it up by lifting as the pump is going to get it up to 3/4's up and then it will finish off with the pump alone. Cycled it 6 times up and down and it still wont lift by itself. Talked with a tech named Jim at Hydro E Lectric and we discussed problem I was having. The symptoms point to internal leak in the cylinder. Basically blow by past the seal in the chamber. Seal may be cupped and holding well in one direction but leaking on the opposite side. So my question is this, has anyone heard of this before. Did you have a top which only went one way? What did you do to fix it. Trying not to have to spend another 275 but everything is pointing to the cylinders.

Offline 68 S Code

Re: Power top cylinder experiances
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »
Well although blow by at the internal seal was a possibility spending 275 on new cylinders  fixed nothing. Hydro E Lectric recommended filling and running in the cylinders without them attached to the top and I can see that the pump struggles pushing up on the cylinders. Checked the voltage at the pump electrical connection and I get the same reading in either direction so it's not an electrical issue. Tested two other pumps I have and will try swapping in the one which seems to be fastest spinning. Getting close to tacking this one but need a few more hours. Tim L was right when he said to replace the pump.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »
Out of curiosity, does the top frame operate up and down easily without the cylinders attached?  Wondering if something might be binding on the frame or maybe it needs to be lubricated at the joints?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »
Charles, I took this top down to individual parts. Primed with urethane, shot it one coat with silver and then two coats with black SG. The reason for the silver base is so I could intentionally miss areas with black like they did at Utica plant. I just didn't want to deal with surface rust in the future. All bushings were cleaned, fasteners and springs which should be phoshated were and chrome was either polished or rechromed. During reassembly all joints were lubricated with graphite so there would be no binding. After fooling with it again last night it I came to the conclusion that the new (and also the original) cylinders were good. The electrical voltage readings through the switch to the pump connection seemed good. That left the pump as the possible problem. Today I switched the resevouer from the detailed pump to another I had kicking around. Of the two spares this one sounded like it was spinning at higher rpm's then the one in the car. Refilled it and ran it through 5 up and down cycles of the cylinders (disconnected from the top). Right away my son said they seemed to be going up as quickly as they were going down. So it looked promising. We reconnected the top of the cylinders and crossed our fingers. First we pulled the top back until the header edge pointed vertically. We bumped it down a touch just to see if it would fold forward. No problem. We then took the header past vertical to say 1 o clock and stopped. Bumped it forward to see if it would go. This position had been a problem with the first pump. It pushed up without any drama. So we went for broke and set it in the fully folded position in the well. Took a deep breath and told jr to raise the top. Went up like a champ. IT LIVES.

Topped off the reservoir and now all I need to do is adjust the frame so it meets the door glass nicely. We took the car off jack stands and are planning to drive it up to greenbay to have the top installed between Tuesday and Friday. Then I go to visit Jim cross town and drop the motor in next Sat. So if everything goes as planned a week from now I will have a car which will still need some assembly but it will be drivable minus the front sheetmetal once I get the tranny detailed and installed.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:16:47 AM »
Nice, sounds like you can move on with the next hurdle!   :D
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »
Hurdle, an accurate word to describe the assembly process. The C6 detailing is the next one. Any help there would be appreciated. See thread in Drivetrain.