Author Topic: Vert trunk divider board  (Read 5594 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Vert trunk divider board
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:47:55 AM »
I've purchased a new divider board but then stumbled upon the original. I'm kind of leaning towards using the original because it has a nice curve to it and a lip which is bent correctly to mount it. Kind of beat up finish wise but I'm thinking paint can make it look new again. The repop is flat like glass. No mounting lip bend. What do you guys recommend?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Vert trunk divider board
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:55:36 AM »
The ones Jack was making were perfect but it sounds like he may have supplier issues? Don't forget the felt pad

http://www.deadnutson.com/catalog/item/3902236/5276771.htm
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:00:58 AM »
Felt pad? Tim Are you referring to the pad on top of the wheel house? That is the only pad I remember but it was jute material.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:02:33 AM by 68 S Code »

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »
I'm sorry, I meant jute. There is a pad that is made of the same material thats glued to the top of the divider board about 1 1/4" x 4"
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:29:38 PM »
Hmmmm I don't remember that but I will look for signs of glue on the original. Would that be on the trunk side or the well side?

Offline Oz390

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:28:02 PM »
Does it attach to the lip of the upper gutter?  FAM shows clips, never been able to verify if they were used or not, and if so what they looked like.  Number not listed in the AMK guide to Ford fasteners...
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 11:06:40 PM »
Read OZ's question so I went out in the garage to see if there was any sign of fasteners on the top. Nothing. Checked to see if there was any left over glue or traces of jute at the top like Tim mentioned. Nothing. Then I went to the Dead Nuts link to verify something. In the pic he shows that the bent lip at the bottom mounts facing into the trunk. Well if I did that then the visible side in the trunk would be brown board and the black would face in towards the well. Then i looked at the finish on the black and outside of two horizontal lines where the paint came off its not too bad. The lip has indentations from the screw heads at the two screw holes at each end. On one side it almost looks like something black got sprayed. Similar to what was sprayed at the corners of the trunk near the wheelhouse. I'd say its asphalt based but dry at this point. So does the black side face out into the trunk? If so then the screws need to be installed from the interior. Is that possible if the well is in place? Or does the brown side face in towards the trunk making install easy? Either way this is not what appears on the link. The repop I have is black both sides and looks like it will be difficult to make it look original. Anyone recall seeing the brown side facing into the trunk? I'll try taking a pic tomorrow to post.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »
Below are three pics. Note that the black side is convex and the brown is concave. That may help determining what side faced into the trunk. The third pic is of the coating sprayed at one corner.  If I was to clean and repaint this what paint would you suggest? There is a almost wax like finish on the brown side. I think that was to repel water.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:48:34 AM »
That black side of your piece should face the trunk.  I have seen where the screws get installed from the interior side of the board also. 

I'd re-use the original piece if it can be touched up and look ok.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 12:15:03 PM »
That black side of your piece should face the trunk.  I have seen where the screws get installed from the interior side of the board also. 

I'd re-use the original piece if it can be touched up and look ok.
+1 +1. The waxed looking side is water resistant as has been speculated. Also I have seen the board installed directly over the trunk mat and others where the trunk mat has been trimmed back just to the edge of the divider. Just from my own observations I have seen close to equal amounts installed ether way on NJ cars . I don't have a wide experience with other plants. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »
In a pinch you have to prime and seal the trunkside of the repro board good so the black paint doesn't soak up. I use a gloss black krylon paint but it dulls down some when applied. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dave6768

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 09:03:25 PM »
I just painted my repo and used about 10 light coats of semi gloss before it stopped soaking in.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 10:59:24 PM »
I'll try reusing the original after a little clean up and paint. If it doesn't look presentable I can always go repop. Before spending to much time I will have to see how to mount it. Top and well just got installed 2 weeks ago.

Offline rodster

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 11:28:45 PM »
+1 +1. The waxed looking side is water resistant as has been speculated. Also I have seen the board installed directly over the trunk mat and others where the trunk mat has been trimmed back just to the edge of the divider. Just from my own observations I have seen close to equal amounts installed ether way on NJ cars . I don't have a wide experience with other plants. Bob

Here's an example of a Dearborn car. Screws on the interior side, trunk mat trimmed back.

1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 12:27:18 AM »
Thanks for the pic. Interesting side note in that my car has the rubber guard for the torsion bar on the forward rod. A 67 Dearborn car I saw two weeks ago had it that way as well. Your car has it opposite. Did they come both ways? I found out the hard way that the rods are side specific. If installed backwards they do nothing. What tipped me off was the rubber strip. Now installed correctly works fine.