Author Topic: Vert trunk divider board  (Read 5593 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Re: Vert trunk divider board
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 11:06:24 PM »
Ok I've got it cleaned up and the finish seems to be more flat than semi-gloss. I would say 90% is flat black with maybe 10% made up of splotches or streaks kind of semigloss. So do I paint it flat or semigloss? Kind of rough to leave it as is. See pics posted earlier.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 12:06:05 AM »
Don't think a 40 year old surface that has seen cleaning products might be the best indicator of the original shine ;)

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »
So I guess thats why I am asking. I guess with it being locked up in the trunk while the car was on the road it would have pretty much kept its original finish pretty well. Its been stored in the attic of a garage for 25 years with no direct sunlight on it and in my garage for the past month. I would guess that the flat finish which is on the majority would be pretty representative of what it was but the limited areas with a shinier finish have my questioning it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 05:24:52 PM »
Sorry I took from your description that you might have used cleaning products on the surface. I would say that finishes can oxidize even in protected storage but I can not explain how a surface could get glossier over time just sitting. Unless there was something made of fabric that could rub or vibrate on that spot.  So I would go with the glossier of the finishes found being closer to the original finish
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
Jeff I first wiped off the years of dust with straight water. Then sprayed some simple green and scrubbed with a soft bristle brush and then wiped it down. Surprisingly not glossy where spare tire would have been. More glossier spot areas on drivers side. Tried sanding a small area with 400 grit fine paper very lightly. The flat looking paint still flat. I too thought about something rubbing caused the shinier spots.