Author Topic: Floor plugs  (Read 6168 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Re: Floor plugs
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »
Hi everyone,
Excuse my ignorance but were the floor plugs generally installed with the galvanised finish (unpainted)? I have a 67 SJ car and never noticed that mine had a such a finish but I was the second owner after the car it had been restored and so anything could have happened. I do remember that the exposed part of the screws were black because they were still covered in great globs of sealer that had leaked out of the holes when they were originally installed.
Thanks for the enlightenment.
Brad.

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 03:34:40 PM »
Brad,

They should not be painted.

Are you a rocket scientist?

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 09:42:35 PM »
They were attached after all the painting was done
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 09:57:27 PM »
Thanks Scott & Jeff,

I'm a scientist and the 'rocket' part was given to me by someone else, so it kind of stuck. I have a PhD in Chemistry but ended up for a period working for someone restoring warbirds, most of them to airworthy condition. I have worked on types such as: P-51 Mustang, Lancaster bomber, Sea Fury, T-6 Texans and Stearmans. The owner of the company was mildly amused at having a scientist work for him and rather than trying to explain it to his customers, just called me his 'rocketscientist'! Then I made the wrong career move from warbirds to chemistry (though I loved my job, I had to feed my family) and have been regretting it ever since.

But now I'm into Mustangs and that's a whole new love....
Cheers,
Brad.

Offline Scott Fuller

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 11:39:32 PM »
Brad,

Sounds like fun playing with the warbirds.  I work in missile propulsion.  I thought you might be in the same business.  I work with a lot of chemists on propellant development and high energy propellant ingredients.  Smart people.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:23:00 PM by Scott Fuller »
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 05:19:24 AM »
Scott,

A true rocket scientist, I feel quite humbled. I would have loved to gotten into propulsion technology but there aren't the opportunities available in Australia. Our investment into military technology is quite pitiful. I also spent a lot of years in the Army (Reserve) and made good use of propellants in turning big things into lots of smaller things. Definately not in your league but fun nonetheless and it beats a day in the lab. I would be interested to hear more about what you do sometime, if its possible...

Back to car things.
My next challenge is to find out how to restore the plugs while they are still attached to the car. Even with the car on jacks, the plugs will be less than an inch from my nose.

Brad.

Offline Scott Fuller

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »
Just to be clear, I'm no rocket scientist.  However, I'm very skilled at attending meetings, eating donuts, and drinking coffee.

Scott