Author Topic: Mirror replacement  (Read 1369 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Mirror replacement
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:01:15 AM »
Found my original rear view mirror but it NOW haa a big crack in it top to bottom. Hmmmm not the way it was when I took it off years ago (wife or kids are main suspects). Is there a way to remove the glass mirror from a repop mirror without breaking it and putting it in the original.Any other suggestions.

Offline Oz390

Re: Mirror replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 06:45:50 PM »
Not sure about the repos but the OEM body is soft enought to careflully remove the glass if you get it warm.  Remove it, carefully cut up a repro (not sure if thier frame is soft as the originals) and see if the glass is the same shape, the originals are a bevelled glass thicker/thinner top-to-bottom.  If the repro glass is the same shape it sould be able to be refit. 

If not, see if a local glass shop may be able to do something custom, not likely, or maybe spendy, but AFAIK just the mirros are not reproduced.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline 68 S Code

Re: Mirror replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:50:55 PM »
Oz i found another mirror which was perfect down in the basement. Had a different stem on the stud so I cut it off with a tube cutter. Now I need to trim off a little on the stud and mount the 68 arm. I looked it over close and everything was identicle even the longitudinal splay across the rear face (maybe not as pronounced as the original one off the car but darn close). Body of the mirror housing is soft so not a repop. Maybe a 69? Satin silver tube crimped over stud. When I cut it I found a spring was inside.