Author Topic: Headliner install  (Read 1612 times)

Offline sparky65

Headliner install
« on: July 22, 2011, 08:34:06 PM »
I've been sweating away in the garage all day trying to get this headliner in place with no wrinkles.  I am very close right now just having trouble between the 1/4 window and the rear window.  It seems like I need to pull the back seem tighter which I cant do.  The question I have is how far are you supposed to open up the sleeve that the rear bow is in?  Right now I have it cut back to about 1" before the end of the bow.  I am wondering if I actually need to cut it back to the point where the bow makes the sharp bend in the roof.  So about 4" more.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline kowalski

Re: Headliner install
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:05:03 AM »
Hey Steve,
I had an upholsterer come to my shed at the weekend to observe and advise me on just this topic with the Falcon sedan-delivery I'm restoring. I have also stretched the sides to almost OK but he told me to keep trimming the sleeves & testing the fit until smooth.
Long story short, I think you are supposed to trim it a bit, try it, trim it a bit, etc....
Hope that helps

Offline ruppstang

Re: Headliner install
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »
Steve,
As said above do not trim too much. I start by hanging the headliner on the bows and stretching it by clipping it with clothes pins. I leave it for a day or two, then stretch it again. I start gluing in the front center to the sides. Then the back center to sides. then the sides starting at the front behind the pillar and working to where it turns downward. then I go back and do the front pillars.The sail panel on a coupe is the toughest part. I start by checking if the listing is trimmed enough by pulling the seam strait downward and clamping it to the front edge. next hook the first forward barb below then glue the front edge top to bottom. The back is glued from the corner rearward. Be careful not to trim too much before you glue back here. Then using the card board strip roll it in the excess material, place it under the metal tabs and bend them down. Pull the bottom down and hook it on the the rest of the hooks. If you are happy how it looks remove it from the hooks add the glue and rehook. I wait a day or two leaving the clothes pins. This gives the glue time to fully set before you install the glass. This is fresh in my mind as I did one yesterday. Good luck Marty