Author Topic: Plating original fender bolts  (Read 1985 times)

Offline RogerArrick

Plating original fender bolts
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
My 68 SJ coupe is starting to come together.  I want the seen fender bolts and others in the engine compartment to be the right color.  They've been sandblasted.  I don't want to just buy new ones if I can avoid it.  Any other options such as sending them off for plating?  Maybe a paint or clear spray?  If plating is the answer, who?, and should I send off door latches, trunk latch and other parts in one big batch?

Offline 68 S Code

Re: Plating original fender bolts
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:57:07 AM »
Well I've tried painting bolts and can tell you to save yourself lots of grief and just send them out for plating. The problem you may have is determining what is the correct finish. A few to close from, cadmium, zinc, zinc dichromate (goldish tint) phosphate, black oxide to name some. There are bolts, nuts, clips, screws and other pieces. Now the plater will not separate anything so you need to keep very good records as you disassemble or you will be left wondering where does the bolt with the anchor go again. How about the bolts with the T and 3 dots.? Some of the bolts will look great while some will just look rough. Rust damage will play a big part. No matter how accurate your record are you will forget where a fastener belong. You will forget some and be stuck. I fir intense now need to cad plate the bolt for the distributor hold down. One bolt. Plating is the way to go but AMK kits will save you a lot of headaches. If you have a blasting cabinet and a small tumbler buy the chemicals. A hot plate, a stainless steel bowl and some strainers and do tour own phoshating. Contact Palmetto enterprises I believe. Very few items get black oxide so buy the chems from a place in New Berlin WI and you can do those. For the Cad, Zinc and ZD find someone else to partner up with and send in bigger batches but get ready to sort.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Plating original fender bolts
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
No painting will match the durability and life or a good plating

That said platters typically charge by the batch so its going to cost $100 - 150 (depending on platter) if you have a small box or a large box.

Some (as mentioned) are grouping their parts with other owners, adding in extras (taillight housings, bolts.....) then picking the best item once plated and selling the extras or saving them. 

Others are grouping the zinc dichromate and clear/bright zinc together then dying the dichromate parts themselves when they come home. 

Others purchase one of the small kits and do the small number of bolts and such at home
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3215.0
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)