Author Topic: Cleaning up my 64 1/2  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Wayne in NJ

Cleaning up my 64 1/2
« on: September 10, 2011, 12:08:58 AM »
    Any tips on cleaning/polishing the car? (I purchased it from my Dad a month ago, he's had it in the garage for the past ten years).
    It was restored in the late 80's, and though it's not filthy, it definitely needs a good coat of wax, (at least)!

Wash by hand, no doubt, any specific type of detergent?
    What type of polish for the paint?
    " " for chrome and/or the hub caps?
    Any other tips. (i saw the thread about storing the vehicle, but I'm thinking of running it, (occasionally) even during the winter IF there's no snow/water on the road.

NOTE: If there's already a forum for this that I've overlooked, please point me that way!

Offline sparky65

Re: Cleaning up my 64 1/2
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »
I think if its been siting for awhile you may want to check all the seals before you spend a lot of time washing it only to find it filled up with water.  For paint polish you will want to know what paint system was used to paint the car.  There are different types of polish for clear coats  and other enamels. 

The problem with the winter is all the salt on the road.  The salt stays on the road even after the snow is gone.  I usually keep my car off the road until a good rain washes the salt away.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Wayne in NJ

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »
Should I use a damp cloth w/o a hose, just to initially clean the external surfaces?

Offline sparky65

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »
You want the hose to help wash away any dirt.  the damp cloth could cause the dirt to scratch.  I would just start out slow.  Have someone in the car looking for leaks while you wash around the windows and cowl.  Thats when you could get water in. 
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:59 PM »

Mother's and Meguiar's products are the best... A budy of mine uses a product called "IBIZ".. His car looks super.. Never tried the stuff..He swears by it..

Always clean/wash the car first before using any products.. Try not to use dishwashing detergent as it will dry out the paint...but if you must, use Dove liquid as it is really mild.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Wayne in NJ

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 11:05:39 PM »
Thanks, Folks!

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
+1 on the Mothers and Meguiars products.  I have had good results using the Mothers California Gold clay bar and wax system.  I routinely use Meguiars spray detailer and have been pleased.  I was told by me restorer not to use a garden hose to wash the car; only to use a good, high quality spray detailer to clean the car.  This will eliminate the possibility of standing water behind trim panels and such.  If you feel roughness when you run your finger along the paint you most likely have dirt deposits embedded in the paint; the clay bar will remove the deposits leaving your paint feeling smooth as glass.  I use Turtle Wax Zip Wax car wash to clean my newer cars; I would stay away from dish detergent as it removes grease and wax from your car.

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »

Learned a long time ago how to get rid of standing water.. Drive the car for about a half hour after you wash it..  The speed of the air going through the car is usually enough to dry/drive just about anything out.. I mean really, Who would'nt want to drive a clean mustang after just washing it, and show it off??? ;O)

Just making a suggestion, I'm not advocating using a garden hose everytime to wash your car...lol..

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Wayne in NJ

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:24:46 PM »
I found out my car may have enamel paint.  If so, does that change the type of wax/etc.?