Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

Paint break on door

(1/2) > >>

kutzoh:
Getting ready to shoot the interior color on the coupe, is the paint break between interior color and exterior on the door basically the weather strip seal? What about the hinge end of the door itself, where's the break?

Thanks,

Greg

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: kutzoh on November 25, 2009, 12:27:17 PM ---Getting ready to shoot the interior color on the coupe, is the paint break between interior color and exterior on the door basically the weather strip seal? What about the hinge end of the door itself, where's the break?

--- End quote ---

This is an area (like 99% of the restored cars out there) often restored incorrectly since most will locate the break at the weather strip

Remember the door interior color would have been applied firstly, then that surface masked off and the exterior color applied.

I've often found the paint very thin on the bottom of door and rust takes over with years making is difficult to determine. Below you've find a couple of examples of a heavier application - possibly the painter was a bit shorter or younger that did these

Just follow the line around as shown in the picture  at the front surface

Both of these examples are San Jose (first 65 second 66) Mustangs

midlife:
Here's a couple of pictures of an unrestored door before I had it repainted.  Door off of a San Jose 11M 1966.

kutzoh:
Thanks guys for the response and pics, exactly what I was looking for. I forwarded the pics to my painter, I'll let you know how they turn out.

Greg

kutzoh:
Jeff & Randy-
    Just to let you know your help and advise don't go unappreciated, Thanks again.
Here's the result:

Greg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version