Author Topic: 67 Tilt Steering Wheel/Column Discussion  (Read 21717 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Re: 67 Tilt Steering Wheel/Column Discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 12:35:39 PM »
It was kinda fun to get one over on those kinds of brainiacs ;)

That's what makes me want to get it working--it'll definitely make people do a double-take when they see the wheel move.  One thing I worry about with getting it working is that the wheel doesn't "lock" into place when the swing-away feature is active.  Though nobody besides my wife and I drive the car, I always worried about somebody inadvertently jerking on the wheel to get in or out of the car, and damaging the system.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »
That's what makes me want to get it working--...I always worried about somebody inadvertently jerking on the wheel to get in or out of the car, and damaging the system.

It will be OK, since the car sits so low anyways, nobody actually "pulls" on it and it is rather durable. Trust me! You want it fixed ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 01:34:47 PM »
Sorry about the one pic being upside down. Here's another, I just couldn't stand it any longer... :o
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 12:11:50 AM »
+1 on a need of the bracket.

I realize this is an old thread and only recently became aware that there SHOULD or could be a separate canister for the Tilt wheel cars. I emphasized the word "should" because in my opinion, it hasn't yet been proven beyond any shadow of doubt, that ALL early 67's came with this canister in this location. Mine isn't there at present and has no signs of being there at a glance, but I do know the hoses were not in original condition when I first got the car back in '78, add that to the possibility of battery boil over plus some signs of minor corrosion on the battery box when I first got it, sure makes it possible the canister may have been removed.

I just bought what is claimed as a NOS canister off flea-bay that looks correct (right hose connections and size, with the stud bracket) but doesn't have the bracket to the battery tray. I would still need that.

Marty, did you ever find a way to duplicate this bracket, I assume yours was also missing by reading this thread. I could use the pictures in this thread as a guide, but if I could find the right one, better yet.

If no response to this here and possibly I will anyways, I may just start another request in "Parts Wanted"

Richard

Richard
Richard I am restoring a 67 S code fastback for the gentleman who owns the 67 convertible that has the tilt canister that I posted. I will have to ask him if I could remove it and copy it.
Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »
Bob, I believe that canister has the wrong bracket and wrong size hose connection on it.
There is another one that looks correct:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-ford-mustang-tilt-away-vacuum-reservoir-shelby-cougar-KR-thunderbird-/141437820038?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1967%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item20ee59dc86&vxp=mtr

And Marty, that would be great! I now have several pictures of the bracket now but what REALLY would help is a paper template traced around an original bracket and the holes, then possibly mailing that to me.  Pictures of the screw bolts and mounting nuts too if possible, but those I have a good idea from the assembly manual. Any help here would be great.

Richard

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:08:08 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
Bob, I believe that canister has the wrong bracket and wrong size hose connection on it.

Is that not the one that bolts up under the battery apron?  If so, that might explain the different bracket.

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
 The second eBay listing , the one from 67gtasanjose, is the type of cannister that is on my Nov. 66 Metcheun built coupe. The rear PS firewall has never been altered and the bracket has the two studs closer together near the middle of the bracket. Identical match.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »
The second eBay listing , the one from 67gtasanjose, is the type of cannister that is on my Nov. 66 Metcheun built coupe. The rear PS firewall has never been altered and the bracket has the two studs closer together near the middle of the bracket. Identical match.

If I get time this weekend, I'll pull the vaccumm canister off of my '67.  I'm betting it's like the one on your car, since mine was a Dec. 66 Metuchen car.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »
Reply #18 to this thread has some images of the battery tray mounted canister. You can see the bracket and mounting in those images.

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »
Reply #18 to this thread has some images of the battery tray mounted canister. You can see the bracket and mounting in those images.

I took a closer look at it, and you're right--that first eBay one is very different from the battery tray-mounted canister.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »
There is another one that looks correct:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-ford-mustang-tilt-away-vacuum-reservoir-shelby-cougar-KR-thunderbird-/141437820038?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1967%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item20ee59dc86&vxp=mtr

And Marty, that would be great! I now have several pictures of the bracket now but what REALLY would help is a paper template traced around an original bracket and the holes, then possibly mailing that to me.  Pictures of the screw bolts and mounting nuts too if possible, but those I have a good idea from the assembly manual. Any help here would be great.

Richard
Richard ,the pic in the link you posted would not work on the 67 Mustang battery tray. The battery tray has small holes for use of sheet metal screws to secure the can. The one in the your link picture as threaded stock and held on with a nut. I can't speak to the correct tube or not on the vac can because I have not worked with a 67 tilt before. I can speak to the fact that the correct battery tray has a series of small untapped holes for sheet metal screws. The few 67 vac cans I have seen had a bracket similar to the ebay auction I posted.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »
Richard ,the pic in the link you posted would not work on the 67 Mustang battery tray. The battery tray has small holes for use of sheet metal screws to secure the can. The one in the your link picture as threaded stock and held on with a nut. I can't speak to the correct tube or not on the vac can because I have not worked with a 67 tilt before. I can speak to the fact that the correct battery tray has a series of small untapped holes for sheet metal screws. The few 67 vac cans I have seen had a bracket similar to the ebay auction I posted.

Bob, as a point of clarity in ALL of the information contained within this thread, you may wish to look again at the images Marty uploaded back in reply #18. When you look, there is a bracket that attaches to the canister with two nuts, onto the two studs you speak of. From there, that OTHER bracket NOT pictured in the eBay listing, the bracket is held to the battery tray with two 3/8" socket drive screw bolts.

I NEED ONE OF THOSE 4-hole, double 45 degree bent BRACKETS to restore the canister I have to that location. The information from the engineering standpoint leans to the fact that the tilt wheel canister was intended to be seperate from any other storage canister (such as for the A/C). For that reason alone and since I have a 9 year gap of ownership from new I cannot account for it's existance or removal, I will plan to install the 2nd canister under my battery. That canister (in Marty's pictures and confirmed from Scott's comments @ WCCC, reply #15) does look like the eBay listing I mentioned.

Hopefully, I can get a template from another bracket since it is a simple stamped metal design, it would be rather easy to duplicate with a pattern.

For more images, go to WCCC and scroll down, there are very clear pictures of what should be on these 67 Mustangs there.
http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/67tilt.html?attribs=77

Richard 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:13:07 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 11:06:37 AM »
Ok, I was able to take some pictures of my '67 this weekend.  I can't verify the originality of any of this, since I've only owned the car for about a year, but I will say that to me, everything looks original and undisturbed.  This is a Dec. 66 Metuchen car.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »
Ok, I was able to take some pictures of my '67 this weekend.  I can't verify the originality of any of this, since I've only owned the car for about a year, but I will say that to me, everything looks original and undisturbed.  This is a Dec. 66 Metuchen car.

OK...this is "My take-away" on the information shared to date within this thread about these canisters:

As NEW and as RARE of an order of the tilt column option is for the 1967 year, there isn't anything suggesting that many assembly workers didn't "already know where" to install the canisters when the build sheet showed to install the Tilt option. Using the terminology of "the show must go on", workers simply installed them in a quick best-guess location, especially on cars without the AC canisters, and on the cars with AC, threw the extra canister over the shoulder & just tied them in to THAT canister.
(this could explain the A/C examples like mine, that didn't seem to ever have the under battery canister)

This does not mean that many or most were not installed as the assembly manual shows, or the engineering instructions showed them to be. It simply helps as a scenario of "why so many differences" in mounting locations and/or canister design (oblong or round).

As I said earlier, I am at least gathering the items to restore the installation of the 2nd canister under the battery should I decide, or it is decided later that it absolutely MUST be there. I might not install it just yet, true, but I will at least aquire what is needed to install it as properly as I can.

Chalk it up to running changes, differences in workers, different plants, I don't know...but there seems to be no definite answer on what was "correct" at this time. Original examples of all build dates, all plants and all workers are no doubt few and even further between.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:52:56 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch