Author Topic: Rear Hatch Striker  (Read 1419 times)

Offline bluemax

Rear Hatch Striker
« on: April 17, 2022, 10:45:46 AM »
This topic would apply to other Third Generation Mustangs as well, but since I am more familiar with the SVO specifically, I elected to post in this section.

While preparing my car for a recent MCA National event I found my hatch striker bushing on the verge of failure. Not an uncommon issue after 35 plus years of use.

According to the 1986 MPC, the replacement part number for Mustang '82 and up through '86 is listed as E1FZ-61404A42-A. Comparing the NOS service part to my original I found the bolt to be similar (head markings different), but the washer was smaller in diameter (1 1/2" vs. 1 29/32" OD), and the bushing itself was gray vs. the original off white color. The other major difference was in how the washer was secured to the bolt on the original, but threaded on the NOS part. This last point does make it easier to replace the bushing if need be.

I purchased a reproduction striker made by ACP (part #FM-BD050C) and found that while it was similar to the NOS service part, the quality was not that good. The T50 head was not crisp, the washer had the letters ACP stamped on them, the washer was loose and not captured on the bolt, and the bushing OD/ID were slightly larger. Based on all of this, I elected to restore my original.

In order to replace the bushing on my original striker I needed another OEM piece due to the captured washer design. Fortunately I know of a fellow SVO owner that maintains quite a cache of original parts. I sacrificed the washer from my original piece (wanted to maintain the same head markings) and the bolt from the other. Slightly oversized the 3/8" ID hole in the washer in order to slide it over the original threads. I then duplicated the original finish by cleaning and bead blasting the parts and then applied the correct black manganese phosphate and oil.

I was hoping to use the NOS bushing to finish up my restoration of the striker, but the first time I closed the hatch, the bushing shattered into several pieces. Apparently the plastic had become brittle over time and I could break the pieces apart with my fingers. With the ACP reproduction bushing being slightly larger, I elected to find another solution. While the reproduction door striker bushings currently available are more flexible, they are shorter in length (7/8" vs. 1 1/16") and gray in color. I reached out to my fellow SVO buddy who is also a machinist and he created new bushings for me that more closely match the oem piece.

What I do not know is when did Ford change the size of the washer? The later F0ZZ-61404A42-A part issued for '87 through mid '91 does have the larger 1 29/32" OD washer. At the recent MCA National in Florence, SC, I noticed that the '86 GT in the show field hatch striker was also the larger style.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:49:15 AM by bluemax »