Author Topic: Why Doesn't Somebody -  (Read 10219 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Why Doesn't Somebody -
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »
Charles,
I did not read anything in Jim's post that I interpret as a claim to have anything to do with the Arvin node exhaust.  He just cited it as an example.
Thank you.
Charles seems to have a budget unlike the average restorer so he may lose contact with the real world. I still insist that the intent of this post was to stir up interest in parts not in the supply chain and get them reproduced. I won't go into what I did do when I got out of may armchair (like Algore claims, I invented sugar and the articulate back scratcher) but I don't sit around. I kept a keen interest in what Dave Wallace did and I applaud him for his research and final product, but the Arvinode exhaust does not apply to my cars, but I did make a referral.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:39 PM »
Totally support the original intent of your post.  I simply took offense to the way some of the replies were repudiated.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 10:24:19 PM »
I appreciate all that has been said; I miss quality parts myself having restored one car to high (but not quite concours) standards.

The gap between non-availability and high repro prices creates niches, one of which opened up for me in my harness refurbishment hobby.  Most people in the hobby are not concours fanatics and can't afford the unbelievably high prices for reproduction wiring.  This is one area that can be refurbished and made to work at reasonable pricing, as long as the customer is not interested in concours-correctness.  I do everything I can to make it look correct, but there are limits at a low cost point.  I know of two people who do concours restorations, but the wait times are long and the prices are up there with reproductions.  I can understand that now, as the amount of time and effort to do that would be a factor of 5 to 10 of what I currently put in and I won't have a customer demand like I do now.

I know this doesn't help y'all, but there are opportunities between non-availability and repro are out there; many of you pursue them.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:15:35 PM by midlife »
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 12:16:36 AM »
The gap between non-availability and high repro prices creates niches,
I was hoping to establish a "demand" (a production planning term) for parts, nothing more. Yes, they are expensive, especially in setup costs but I worked in that environment and know the plusses and minuses. I've had some successes (the lug on 65 fog light ground leads from a surplus electronics store) and some dissapointments (the heavy duty rectangle nut clip on 64-66 front bumper guards, the manufacturer wanted a 500,000 production run) so I know what you mean.
Don't let the low level discourse upset you, list your un-reproduced parts and maybe somebody will consider make them.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 11:21:52 AM »
Looks like everyone missed the actual point of this post Jim.  Except you and me!
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »
To return the train to the track a couple I think would be needed

1- Grp 22F assembly line battery - heck, while we're asking the grp 21 also

2- 69 Boss thermactor pump bracket (efforts talked about on a regular basis on the Boss forum)

3- A good replacement carpet like ACC use to sell before the original owner sold the company

4- Real comfort weave seat kits

5- 67 trunk mats done correctly

6- 69 Grande (other years also) hood pad

Well that's a few to add to the list
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »
Here’s another Mustang part that needs to be considered for reproduction, the push nut used on 65 to early (midyear) 67 Fastback trunk torsion bar right hand end, p/n 380264-S2, 1/4 in id, 3/4 in od, 0.025 in thk (measured), with 8 serrations for retention, see AMK Products Guide to Ford Fasteners 1955-73, pg212, p/n 380264-S.
Some history of my search:  I found a busted one in the trunk of a 65 Mustang that was in a local Mustang shop yard. The only info I got from the part was the manufacturer’s name, PAL. I did an internet search and found that the company is now Tinnerman Palnut and found a similar item, T99220-171-4 in their on-line catalog. It was close, it had every dimension but did not use the serration retention. The sale representative (a friendly sales rep, he had a 69 Mach I) sent me samples, an installation tool and I cut the 8 serrations in one with my Dremel tool, painted it and installed it on the car. It looked good enough that I made several more.
Now for the bad news, that part is no longer manufactured, stocked or available.
A picture -
Here is Oct 1964 SJ

Jim

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 05:07:29 PM »
Dave Mathews the SAAC 67 Shelby registrar has some last time I checked .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
I have "some" too, they need some touch up work to make them presentable, but you missed the point, the purpose of this thread is to give the Mustang related businesses with the finances, marketing and sales capability an idea of what is desired by Mustang people.
An example of a good response to parts required is the reproduction of the HP fan spacer - Bob.
Jim 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
This is an electric/heat/dirt shield used on 67 and 68 Mustang gas tanks, ref 1967 Mustang Electrical Assembly manual (AM0018) pg 30, views G and F, p/n C7ZB-14A088-A. It does not appear in the Ford Car Parts wiring illustration, Ill 140 pg 14. 
(The name on the ruler is an antitheft procedure that worked well for several years as I still have the ruler.)
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »
This is an electric/heat/dirt shield used on 67 and 68 Mustang gas tanks, .........

Is that the wire holder for the front lip of the gas tank opening?

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 11:22:27 PM »
Yes, it came off a 67 "A" code Fastback that I was assisting the owner with, re Concord 2008 Acapulco Blue. The owner found a slightly better part to use.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:05 PM »
Yes, it came off a 67 "A" code Fastback that I was assisting the owner with, re Concord 2008 Acapulco Blue. The owner found a slightly better part to use.
Jim

Thanks - the part has been discussed a number of time and currently don't think anyone has figured out when (what cars) the part was intended for. By observation I've seen very few that way, instead the typical clips were used on most cars.   Might effect the number of reproductions that might be sold
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »
I have never seen one on a car. Only talked about them here. Marty

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »
Wanted to revive this nearly 2yr old topic.

Would be nice to see a reproduced heater hose strap 18B465 for '65-'66 Mustangs w/ the straight 6.
Would be nice to see a reproduced a/c line support bracket 19812.

Just some thoughts,

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252