Author Topic: NEW SCRIPT HEADLIGHTS IN HALOGEN (Scott Drake)  (Read 10243 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
NEW SCRIPT HEADLIGHTS IN HALOGEN (Scott Drake)
« on: February 10, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »
-Just found these in the February issue of Mustang Monthly (also posted this on Brant's posting he started back in September.

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C0DZ-13007-A.aspx?wid=141

Offline specialed

Re: NEW SCRIPT HEADLIGHTS IN HALOGEN (Scott Drake)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »
Are those TS with fomoco cast in glass? What are they concours correct for? They are old wide fluteting glass from 60s & not thin fluteting like wagner repos that arent correct for anything. After 72 they changed all headlite glass design & after you put them side by side it is very noticeable & new glass design dont look right in 60s cars.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:57:24 AM »
Are those TS with fomoco cast in glass? What are they concours correct for? They are old wide fluteting glass from 60s & not thin fluteting like wagner repos that arent correct for anything. After 72 they changed all headlite glass design & after you put them side by side it is very noticeable & new glass design dont look right in 60s cars.

I have read and re-read your reply but cannot understand what you ae trying to say.
I HAVE NOT seen these new headlights in person and can only go by what the Scott Drake folks are saying on their site about them.
They seem to indicate that they are correct for '65-'70 (EXCLUDING the '69s)-I understand that the ORIGINAL use of the script headlights was possibly plant specific due to the number of possible suppliers-looks to me that S/D choose to reproduce the most common EMBOSSED headlight-I really have NO idea as to what company they worked with.....

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »
We Supplied S/D With the Original Bulbs for this reproduction. The Embossed Logo bulbs were originally made by Westinghouse and are By Far the least common bulbs seen. GE and Tung-Sol produced the Etched Logo bulbs which are more commonly seen. I do not know if the Suppliers were plant specific or not. The stipulation made by Ford for their suppliers was that the Bulbs have the (FoMoCo) Logo in the front center. They never specified whether it be embossed or etched. Westinghouse took it upon themselves to mold the logo into the glass.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »
Mag that is what i was trying to see in photo a W or TS & cant make it out in photo i looked at & GE spelled out general electric on bottom. I have been collecting 60s headlites for 30 years 7 have 200+ as it takes many before you get enough of them that work & not clouded. Each plant had there own supply depending on contract ,supply& shipping locations etc. The big 3 all share many headlites & i collect them all. Recently i have verifyed 69 dearborn cars started using GE no script style sooner that what was thought in past as they replaced TS fomoco . Dont know if supply ran out or contract . I mainly watch b9s because of low mileage cars & inner hi beams dont get used as much & usually still there. I can doc between kk 1763 & kk 1804 the change was made & date codes on rear.  Best lites can be found on flip-away lite cars because they are protected from road rash.

• MagMustangs
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »
Ed, I agree the picture is hard to make out, we will have to wait and see one in person. Westinghouse also usually had their name spelled out on bottom like the General (GE) Electric bulbs. Only Tung-Sol had a single circle at bottom with (TS) Logo. I can't recall ever seeing Tung Sol spelled out on bottom, but I have never seen a Tung Sol with embossed logo, only etched. This is what I told Scott when I sent him bulbs. I was wondering about the (GE) without logo in center, have had quite a few of those with Original date codes on back. I thought the etchings just rubbed off, LOL. Yep, the 69 Hi Beams usually are the ones that still function. 69 Hi-Lows are extremely hard to find still working. The 67-70 Cougar also had the 5 1/2" Bulbs like 69 Stang and with the Hide-Away lights usually lasted longer. Just checked my 69 T-Bird it has one RH outer Hi-Low with (TS) and etched (FoMoCo). Date on Door Tag is 27A. The bulbs I sent S/D were all 68-Earlier.  He might have also sourced Originals from other vendors as well.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
Halogens?

Those can sometimes cause the headlight switch relays to click off and on.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
Halogens?

Those can sometimes cause the headlight switch relays to click off and on.

Thats a myth. The only way this will happen is if your headlight switch is already worn out and you add Halogens. I have had the lights going on and off back in the day before Halogens were invented on my "original/first 1965 Mustang"

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 07:49:36 AM »
We Supplied S/D With the Original Bulbs for this reproduction. The Embossed Logo bulbs were originally made by Westinghouse and are By Far the least common bulbs seen. GE and Tung-Sol produced the Etched Logo bulbs which are more commonly seen. I do not know if the Suppliers were plant specific or not. The stipulation made by Ford for their suppliers was that the Bulbs have the (FoMoCo) Logo in the front center. They never specified whether it be embossed or etched. Westinghouse took it upon themselves to mold the logo into the glass.

Mag, I for one thank you for your help in getting these lights done! I can't wait to see them in person!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 07:54:08 AM »
Ed, I agree the picture is hard to make out, we will have to wait and see one in person. Westinghouse also usually had their name spelled out on bottom like the General (GE) Electric bulbs. Only Tung-Sol had a single circle at bottom with (TS) Logo. I can't recall ever seeing Tung Sol spelled out on bottom, but I have never seen a Tung Sol with embossed logo, only etched. This is what I told Scott when I sent him bulbs. I was wondering about the (GE) without logo in center, have had quite a few of those with Original date codes on back. I thought the etchings just rubbed off, LOL. Yep, the 69 Hi Beams usually are the ones that still function. 69 Hi-Lows are extremely hard to find still working. The 67-70 Cougar also had the 5 1/2" Bulbs like 69 Stang and with the Hide-Away lights usually lasted longer. Just checked my 69 T-Bird it has one RH outer Hi-Low with (TS) and etched (FoMoCo). Date on Door Tag is 27A. The bulbs I sent S/D were all 68-Earlier.  He might have also sourced Originals from other vendors as well.

So there IS a living, breathing person named Scott Drake?? I thought it was some sort of company name possibly made from 2 peoples last names.......nice to know that there is a human being behind the company that seems to care about producing quality reproductions!

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
I have two samples of the Drake headlights in stock.  The stock order will be arriving Wednesday.  The flutes in the glass were reproduced properly.  They are "narrow" like the original bulbs rather than wider flutes the Wagner replacements.

All of the "molded in" FoMoCo logo bulbs that I have seen are Westinghouse brand.  These original bulbs have the round "W" at the bottom.  Drake chose to use a similar looking logo at the bottom, but it is a "V."  This was done, since the Westinghouse logo obviously could not be copied.

I do not have access to my pictures right now, but I will try to post them later today, including close ups.  The bulbs look nice.  They have been tested and run in cars, and there have been no problem using them with original headlight switches.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »
+ 1 on the Westinghouse bulbs with only a W at the bottom. I have a set with FoMoCo molded in the center of the bulbs with only the W at the bottom of the headlamp. I have seen some Westinghouse bulbs with the name completely spelled out at the bottom of the bulb but, I've never seen one with the FoMoCo molded logo in the center and a complete name on the bottom .

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:58:43 PM »
I have two samples of the Drake headlights in stock.  The stock order will be arriving Wednesday.  The flutes in the glass were reproduced properly.  They are "narrow" like the original bulbs rather than wider flutes the Wagner replacements.

All of the "molded in" FoMoCo logo bulbs that I have seen are Westinghouse brand.  These original bulbs have the round "W" at the bottom.  Drake chose to use a similar looking logo at the bottom, but it is a "V."  This was done, since the Westinghouse logo obviously could not be copied.

I do not have access to my pictures right now, but I will try to post them later today, including close ups.  The bulbs look nice.  They have been tested and run in cars, and there have been no problem using them with original headlight switches.

Thanks Brant!!  Boy, hearing this about Drake just putting a "V" on the bottom doesn't sound good to me, I completely understand about NOT being able to use the Westinghouse logo due to financial reasons, in this case my feeling without seeing them in person is that they should have left them blank on the bottom and just had the fomoco logo in the center-almost sounds like some infearior stuff (NOT MADE BY S/D) that had "mofoco" instead of "fomoco" on them.....

Offline specialed

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 01:37:43 PM »
Mag i have seen tung-sol spelled out onbottom of bulbs also.

• MagMustangs
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
I believe you guys on the Tung Sol and (W) logos. I learn something new every day and always will. I haven't seen them all. :D

Yep, Scott Drake is a living, breathing person. I have met him personally, face to face. He started S/D and still very actively runs it. He is a Great guy. Very, Very Enthusiastic about Mustangs.

Some of you might also have heard of the 'Bob Drake' Brand(his brother) who reproduces parts for the older 30's-40's cars.